Cloudy water after shocking. High Chlorine level. Dead Algae? CYA Levels?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Raddest
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon Aboveground pool. Sand filter, linyl.

Cloudy water after shocking. High Chlorine level. Dead Algae? CYA Levels?

Postby Raddest » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:40

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so still getting the hang of things. I have a 15,000 gallon above ground pool that has been fairly clear throughout the summer. I went out of town for a week or so and left the pool in the hands of my fiance. It was storming a lot last week, so I expected it to be a little green. But since then, the chlorine levels have been really high (She may have shocked it too much and added too much chlorine), and I cannot get the pool to clear up. My levels are below:

FC: 10
TC: 10
AK: 80
PH: 7.2
TH: 0-100

Sand Filter
Vinyl Lining

It has been fairly clear all summer, except after coming home and a lot of rain. Then shocked it a bunch and the chlorine levels are still high, but the pool is still cloudy (not really green anymore, just cloudy). I can provide a picture if needed.

I am backwashing and cleaning everyday, all the while continuing to add more fresh water. I have a good working sand filter with new sand. I've read about floccing, is this something that I should consider? I've also considered this to be an issue with my CYA levels, or if it's just dead algae and I need to work on getting it out. I've seen to stop adding chlorine, which I have done. But is there any other product to add to clear things up?

So a few questions....
-Best way to get rid of dead algae?
-How to clear up water?
-Steps to identifying the problem when having muggy water.

-Kevin

James_
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Cloudy water after shocking. High Chlorine level. Dead Algae? CYA Levels?

Postby James_ » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 11:26

Raddest wrote:
So a few questions....
-Best way to get rid of dead algae?
-How to clear up water?
-Steps to identifying the problem when having muggy water.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

"-Best way to get rid of dead algae?" --> Have you ever thought about shocking your pool? I think this is one of solutions.
"-How to clear up water?" --> How about pool vacuuming? Or Pool Clarifier products?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cloudy water after shocking. High Chlorine level. Dead Algae? CYA Levels?

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 15:40

Get a test kit that can measure your CYA and other levels accurately (you will need to do this often)
Once you have your CYA you can determine the correct shock level to Slam your pool
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
What chlorine are you using?. Trichlor adds CYA which could be causing your chlorine to be ineffective

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”