swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
asantelli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In construction

Hairline cracks in new gunite shell

Postby asantelli » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 12:18

Hello All - Im currently shrinking an existing pool. Everything seemed to be going fine - They sprayed the gunite and I noticed it was the wrong depth. So after a week of drying they came back out and raised the floor another 2 feet (all with gunite) It has been drying for about three weeks and today I noticed on a portion of the new gunite some hairline cracks. The contractor says its nothing to worry about but I want to make sure before they spray the plaster. Anyone run into this problem before? Should I be concerned? Picture and a few more details below.
Thanks all really appreciate your thoughts - Adam

original pool 16x38 9' deep
new pool 16x 18 4.6' deep
two original walls and two new walls
rebar was used and tied into existing pool - the pool depth was raised completely with gunite

IMG_6099.jpeg
IMG_6099.jpeg (506.09 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Hairline cracks in new gunite shell

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 13:00

I don't have experence of gunite pools but when you have a large volume of concrete you do get shrinkage hairline cracks. So long as it has stopped moving and it has rebar in it your plaster finish should seal it. Even if it did leak where would the water go to (nowhere)
To be on the safe side you could consult another professional

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”