drian plugs keep cracking

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
zwluxx
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground concret pool, 10000 Gallon of water, Sta-Rite system3 filter

drian plugs keep cracking

Postby zwluxx » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 15:07

Hi,

Recently, I have cleaned my filters on a Sta-Rite systems3 filter system. I changed the O-Ring on the bottom plug. I could not find any o-ring for the side plug o-ring in the Leslie pool store. However, they have a replacement plug with O-ring, so I bought it ( A Leslie version of Hayward SP1022C) and replaced it, which seems to fit my systems3 filtering system.

Two days later, the new plug cracked, I thought that it was the problem of the product, so I used the new O-Ring on my old plug and put it back into operation. A week later, my old plug cracked as well.

I do noticed that the Leslie O-ring seems to be a bit thinner than the original. In the mean time, I also ordered a Hayward SP1022C on Amazon, the O-ring seems to be slightly thick than the Leslie version as well.

My question is, was the slightly thinner O-Ring from Leslie part cause all my headache? Thank you very much for your help.

zwluxx
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground concret pool, 10000 Gallon of water, Sta-Rite system3 filter

Re: drian plugs keep cracking

Postby zwluxx » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 15:45

Maybe, I tightened the plug too much? Shall I just tighten it with my hand, no screw driver (I need used screw drive to loosen it)?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: drian plugs keep cracking

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 16:57

Are you talking about the "O" ring or plug cracking
If it's the plug it would have to be tightened so that it don't vibrate loose
You may have overtightened it but I wouldn't have thought that a screwdriver would over tighten

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”