Pool Plumbing clogged when Backwashing

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ewnassa
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon in ground pool in Houston Texas area. DE pump

Pool Plumbing clogged when Backwashing

Postby ewnassa » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 15:12

Hello All-
I am hoping someone can help with this issue since my online search returned nothing. I am including two pictures to help with identifying the problem.

Notice in the picture in the ground how there are what appears to be 2 "release" pipes similar to the release pipe/drain one would find for the typical home sewer/plumbing.

One of the two is closed with a lid that screws on but the other taller one in the forefront is not. This has been the case since we moved this house with the pool three years ago and I've never had an issue.

This summer we had a ton of rain in the Houston area and after one particularly bad storm, the pool was cloudy and the pressure was high. So, I backwashed the pool. Only this time instead of the water just draining to the sewer as it usually does, it started pouring from that open taller pipe. I figured this might be a one time thing since we had flooding in the area in the streets and such. However, the problem still persists now and it's like there is a clog between the pool pipes and the sewer possibly.

Questions:
- Any clue why I have these two pipes and why one is left open with no lid?
- Is this an issue I can fix, is it an issue for a plumber or is it a problem for a pool maintenance company to handle and figure out?

Any help or input is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

20160820_144131.jpg
20160820_144131.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

20160820_144137.jpg
20160820_144137.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool Plumbing clogged when Backwashing

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 11:20

I take it that the large pipe is where the leak is
This appears to be part of your drainage system for your house
Is it possible to temporary block it to allow your backwash water to force it through
ewnassa
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon in ground pool in Houston Texas area. DE pump

Postby ewnassa » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 11:02

The clog ended up being a plumbing issue. The house's main drain and the pool's drain to the sewer intersect and get dumped to the sewer. The area close to where they meet, there is a 45 degree drop to the sewer and that was clogged. The plumber used a plumbing snake and unclogged it. This seems to have resolved the problem.

On the other hand I am noticing that the pool water level seems to be dropping at a faster rate than normal and I have to add water every couple days. Seems to be more than normal evaporation but not sure where to start looking...more research on the way i guess.
RobertHill
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RobertHill » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 01:04

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”