Making Liquid Chlorine from Calcium Hypochlorite

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Timless Cynic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 80,000 Liters - 20,000 Gallons
Inground Pool - Vinyl Liner
Sand Filter

Making Liquid Chlorine from Calcium Hypochlorite

Postby Timless Cynic » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:48

Hello

I have a question I hope someone can answer.

If I mix my Calcium Hypochlorite with water in a container to make liquid chlorine, will the calcium eventually settle out leaving the chlorine in suspension with the water?

I like using Calcium Hypochlorite. I think it is the right choice for me. I do not like how my pool water clouds up and the time it takes my sand filter to clear it up. It usually results in me having to add clarifier to the skimmer basket so the sand filter can pick up the clouding element faster.

Essentially, I am wondering if there is some way to non mechanically remove the clouding element from my Cal-Hypo

Thanks

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Making Liquid Chlorine from Calcium Hypochlorite

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:08

I think you will find that the calcium is a binding agent for the chlorine and soaking it will release the chlorine gas to the atmosphere
Why don't you use Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) All that is added is salt and has the least negative affect on your water
Timless Cynic
I'm new here
I'm new here
Sand Filter

Postby Timless Cynic » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 15:21

Thanks Dennis

I am looking for the cheap option. Bleach seems fine but I wonder at the cost. Any idea how many liters/quarts of store bought bleach are required to raise the FC by 10 ppm in a 80,000 Liter / 20,000 Gallon pool?

What are your suggestions on sourcing Sodium Hypochlorite in bulk for discounted prices?

Thanks
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 17:00

I think you will find that Bleach is widely used by pool owners and is economical
Check out the PoolMath to get an idea of what is required http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
You will need to put your starting FC and then your target FC
You will also need to put in your bleach % strength
I calculate that to raise your pool from 0 to 10 PPM you require 6.7 litres of 12% bleach
If you are based in the states you can buy from Pool stores, Walmart, Loews, and many others but check prices
You could try Google
Here in the UK Dale Sauna 14 / 15% 20 litre £11.39 plus shipping
Check the various strength 6% is equal to half of 12% but the higher strength degrades quicker
The PoolMath is good to check out your other levels but you will need your starting numbers
Timless Cynic
I'm new here
I'm new here
Sand Filter

Postby Timless Cynic » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 17:19

Awesome, Thanks Dennis.

I will do my homework and decide accordingly. I began on this path because of the rising CYA levels in the chlorine pucks. Convenient but require some mid season water drains to keep those numbers in check.

Also the cloudiness with the Cal-Hypo shocks annoyed me!

I am gonna test cloudiness levels with small additions of Cal-Hypo to keep my FC normal during regular use and then perhaps liquid chlorine for shocks.

lotsa math to be done but I enjoy it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 02:33

I think you will find most people converted from pucks use liquid chlorine

Return to “Chlorine”