Main Drain help for above ground pool

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
schutz

Main Drain help for above ground pool

Postby schutz » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 12:06

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum. I have an above ground pool with two drains at the surface of the pool. There is a valve on the outside of the pool that we never used in the two years we have owned our house. We were never shown how the valve works. I would like to connect it to where we get a good circulation flow and connect it to the pump. I know how the hoses should be connected, but what setting would I point the lever when the pump is on? I will try to attach some pictures. Thank you all for your help!

http://imgur.com/a/JBljJ

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Main Drain help for above ground pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 13:03

I'm not familar with that system but it looks like a skimmer fixed to the side of the pool which should go to the pump and then through the filtration. The other pipe looks like a return from the filter to the pool. Ideally
the return should be on the other side of the pool to get the skimmer and circulation working properly
Looking at the valve is it connected to anything? have you tried just moving it about to see what happens?
schutz

Postby schutz » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 13:26

Yes, the valve does work. When I move the lever, water shoots out. It is not connected to anything.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 13:40

Is it mains water does it still come out when the pump is off and can you hold it back with just hand pressure or can you see another connection from the pump going underground to it
schutz

Postby schutz » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 14:42

There are two drains in the pool. The outside valve controls the drains. It is in the off position now. I cannot get the fittings off in order to winterize the pipes underneath. Any suggestions on how to get these tight fittings off?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 16:49

If you disconnect them you will drain the pool, but I don't know where you are talking about. Do you have more images

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”