Extra pipe?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
gregr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Extra pipe?

Postby gregr » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 18:28

Hi,

Looking for help ID'ing an extra pipe (new pool owner). I have an inground pool and can't figure out why I have 4 pvc pipes going into the ground near the filter. I don't have a connected vacuum system so I think my pool only needs 3 pipes.

2 pipes (with 1 valve) are returns from the skimmer and the drain -- the valve is set to 50/50 and feeds into the pump. There are another 2 pipes with a similar valve which also feed into the pump but the valve is "off." On this second valve, one of the ports is to the post-filter pool return. I have no clue what the other port (with pipe going into the ground) is for. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be for structural support or actually connected to something? There is a labelled photo attached.

Thanks,
Greg

gregr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Extra pipe?

Postby gregr » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 18:37

Photo now attached.
Attachments
PoolPlumbing2.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 03:06

I doubt if it's for structural support
Do you have a multiport valve if not it may be some way to simulate one, could the other pipe be going to waste
gregr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gregr » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 15:06

Thanks for the response. Here is another photo from a different angle with more of the plumbing shown -- hopefully this helps. I do have a separate multiport/waste line.
Attachments
PoolPipesView2.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 17:03

That's strange, why the return is connected to the suction side doesn't make sense unless it's for recirculating but that is normally done at the MPV
As for the other pipes unless they went somewhere else and have now been cut off
gregr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gregr » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 05:34

Thanks for looking. Is there a good way to figure this out?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 06:47

If you don't see any other pipes elsewhere I would be inclined to leave well alone and just run it as it is
gregr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gregr » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 10:13

Thanks again. Running it is has been easy -- I'm hoping to start closing the pool myself and figure having a mystery pipe isn't a good way to start.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”