This Green Algae at Waterline

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

This Green Algae at Waterline

Postby smcrea » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 20:06

Hi,

My water chemistry is new perfect but I have a thick dark green algae that you can scrape with your fingernail.

I've tried shocking, scrubbing it and everything.

Can anyone please give me some advise?

Thanks

Steve

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: This Green Algae at Waterline

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 01:53

Hi Steve
Your water chemistry can not be perfect for algae to bloom
Do you have a test kit to check your own numbers? Pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate
Please post the results back because your Chlorine / CYA ratio is important to determine your chlorine shock level
How do you chlorinate?
You will need to Slam, follow the instructions exactly and don't miss anything
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby smcrea » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 22:17

Thanks for the response! :-)

I do have my test kit which I use twice a week and adjust my water balance and sanitizer accordingly.

My Ph is good
Free Chlorine level is good
TA is good

This isn't an algae 'bloom', my water is clear and sparkling. This is a line of a thick slime like algae about 1/4 inch wide in places. It is only at the water line.

This algae is slime like and can be scraped with a fingernail. Its a dark green color.

Thanks for any advice

Steve
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 06:55

You don't mention your CYA as this is relative to what your chlorine numbers are
Have you tried rubbing bleach on it also when shocking try raising the water level a bit to make sure the line is covered
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby smcrea » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 21:25

CYA is at 50ppm, so I'm retaining chlorine

I'll try raising the water line a bit. I'll have to plug the overflow and fill it a bit. Thats a great idea. Then give it a very high shock. I'm a bit worried about bleaching my stone if I rub bleach on it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:53

Try a sample on a hidden area first, then if it works in the pool wash the surplus off
Some people rub a Trichlor puck over it
saovietxulynuoc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I don't have swimming pool but my company specialize in water treatment for swimming pool

Postby saovietxulynuoc » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 03:23

I think if you shocked and have no good result, you should try to use insecticide algae chemical
pHin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pHin » Fri 18 Nov, 2016 13:14

We recommend the combination of algaecide and shock treatments, in that order. Algaecide first, then shock for best results.

It is also important to perform regular maintenance.
RossAngela
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is small 10x20 dimensional. It is a concrete pool.

Postby RossAngela » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 04:11

Why can't we use bleach for removing the algae? Last day I tried bleach to remove the algae present in the concrete walls using this tips and I have noticed a great change. Now the wall looks brand new. I think the same procedure can be used for removing the algae.
I felt it is quite good to bleach the water to avoid algae. Lol!!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 07:21

If you have algae, bleach which is chlorine will work but you will need to Slam to clear the algae
neromad
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Outdoor pool, 3 by 8 meters

Postby neromad » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 09:18

I have the same problem, all the test are coming good (I even did a proper chemical analysis with samples) and after I spoke with some experts they explained me what is happening. If you mean you have this green line of something that is like a thick green greasy and is on your liners only and on water surface level, then is from the body oils and the sunscreens. What actually happens is that body oils and sunscreens do not get dissolve and they stay on the surface, while slowly slowly they start attached on the liner surface. While this is happening the oils are trapping water underneath, usually vaporize water during the day, and this creates algae which it cannot expand because is under a thick layer of oil, but it gets stacked with the time and is becoming more and more. Now I still have figured out how to remove this without scraping the liner and loose its color. From experience if you scrap it after many times repeating it the color will fade out. Algaecide solutions, chlorine and bleach will do nothing. Anyone with a good solution?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 09:42

It's the same with sun cream. You can scrape with a soft plastic scraper to remove the majority. Chlorine whilst good has a tough time breaking down fats and oils which it can do but slowly.
Best if people shower before entering.
Good cleaning can be obtained using magic sponges as harsh rubbing isn't needed.
Explore phosphate levels as this is food for algae.
Raising the water level and super chlorinating can help.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”