Pool pressure problems

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
davep
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool pressure problems

Postby davep » Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:44

I have been struggling with my pool for weeks. My initial problem was that my heater would not turn on. The pilot lights stays lit but that's about it. I have replaced the pressure switch but have given up on it for the time being (I'm guessing I have a faulty gas valve).

My main concern has been the pressure. I have a hayward DE filter. My normal (good) pressure is around 10 - 15 lbs psi. It gives me plenty of suction and good flow from my returns. When the pressure would climb above 17, I would backwash. About 17 shuts off my heater (when it used to work). Over the past three to four weeks, my pressure would climb. If I turned on the filter in the evening, by morning it would be over 20 psi with very little flow or suction. I would backwash and add DE as needed to correct this. I would also take apart my filter to hose off the filter material as needed.

When turning on the filter a couple of weeks ago, my pressure went immediately to 22 - 25 psi. I backwashed but that didn't help. I took the filter apart, cleaned it and added fresh DE. I could not get the pump to prime. The pressure shot up over 20 and what DE I added entered my pool through the skimmer and main drain. I put it on recirculate thinking I could clear any obstructions or air blockage. It would not prime at all. I took everything apart again but could not see any problems. I blew out my lines, returns, etc. with a shop vac and put everything together but it still didn't work. I noticed that there didn't appear to be any water going into my chlorinator. I took the tablets out and the system worked perfectly. My pressure returned to 14 psi. I have had my pool for over 12 years and have never heard of chlorinators causing this type of problem. I verified it three times - tablets in and psi jumps over 20; tablets out and psi is below 15. I went to two pool stores and they never heard of it either. I am using the trichlor specified in the owner's manual for a Hayward Cl-200 chlorinator. This past Friday, my pressure problem returned. I replaced the chlorinator. The pressure remained over 20. I took the tablets out and the pressure stayed over 20. I noticed a cracked pipe that goes from my heater to the chlorinator. I replaced that but nothing. I went back to the pool store and was told that I needed to add DE. Since I have no suction, I mixed DE in a bucket, open the filter and added that way. Closed everything up, turned it on and watched the pressure climb over 20.

So far I have replaced the gasket on my Jandy multi-port valve, the gasket on the pump basket, the gasket on the chlorinator, the chlorinator itself, the pressure gauge, and a section of pipe.

Any suggestions? The impeller on the pump feels stiff but I can move it with a screwdriver so I'm thinking it isn't blocked.

davep
I'm new here
I'm new here

re: pool pressure problems

Postby davep » Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:49

Just thought I'd update this in case someone else has a similar problem.

I had a pool service company come out yesterday. My problem was caused by a defective check valve between my heater and the chlorinator. This was the one section of pipe I had not replaced.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”