Pump run dry protection

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
abendix
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Concrete pool

Pump run dry protection

Postby abendix » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 23:53

Hi,

Whilst away over Christmas my pool water level dropped below the skimmer box and as a result my pump completely destroyed itself (impeller and other plastic parts melted as a result of running dry).

I tried to investigate if there is such as thing as a device that will stop the pump if there is no water flow for a period of time and found this http://www.aquamaid.com.au/flowswitch.html

Has anyone had any experience with this flow switch or other alternatives and could provide some info on the best way to install?

I find it strange that my salt chlorinator will sense no water flow (a light turns on) but only turns off the salt cell to protect it from damage and not the pump even though the pump is plugged into the same salt chlorinator unit.

Thanks

abendix

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump run dry protection

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 05:21

Hi
So sorry to hear of your misfortune
Looking at that link it seems the ideal solution and their fixing instructions should be adequate bearing in mind that it is designed for the job

I picked up this bit of info elsewhere
"In order to set up what you originally explained you'd need a countdown timer wired in parallel so the pump would get power through the timer at first, then through the flow switch after 5-10 minutes. There are cheap ones that you could wire into a relay, or you could get a beefier one and wire it directly."

Albiet that may be covered by Aquamaid
Have you sorted out you water loss?
abendix
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Concrete pool

Postby abendix » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 16:46

Denniswiseman wrote:Hi
So sorry to hear of your misfortune
Looking at that link it seems the ideal solution and their fixing instructions should be adequate bearing in mind that it is designed for the job

I picked up this bit of info elsewhere
"In order to set up what you originally explained you'd need a countdown timer wired in parallel so the pump would get power through the timer at first, then through the flow switch after 5-10 minutes. There are cheap ones that you could wire into a relay, or you could get a beefier one and wire it directly."

Albiet that may be covered by Aquamaid
Have you sorted out you water loss?

Hi Dennis,

Firstly thanks for your input. My water loss issue is simply due to evaporation as I live on a rural property that gets a a lot of wind. A pool cover would probably do the same however the pool is an irregular shape (rock-pool type) and getting a cover on and off is a pain so I haven't gone down that path as yet.

I have made contact with the people at Aquamaid but they are still on Christmas leave and will need to contact them once they are back. I will let you know how I get on as I suspect this type of solution would be quite useful to others in a similar situation.

I found this countdown timer which could probably be used: http://www.apogeekits.com/fan_timer_k8041.htm

Cheers
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 04:31

I don't think that timer would be suitable as the power will continue to run the pump once the power is cut
What you need is for the pump supply to start through the new timer to get a flow through the flow switch which will then switch over to the flow switch supply
I would wait for Aquamaid as they probably have this covered or can better advise you
Al the pool guy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17000 gallon, 8foot deep, 16x32, masonry, kidney shape, in ground pool, with Tandy 1.5hp pool Pump and Haywood Sand filter, salt water using Pentair IntelliChlor Salt Generator, uncovered with some trees, skimmer basket, bottom drain and separate kreepy krauly intake. I am a retired CPO, over 26 bodies of water at one location. I have built all my own controls for my pool, automaton and WiFi controlled (pool pump, Gulf stream pool heater, and led pool light. I can control everything from and WiFi in the world.

Postby Al the pool guy » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 08:49

I feel your pain.
Here is what I do, while I am gone for more the a few days and not near my pool. I shut off my side wall skimmer, and turn bottom drain on full open. the only way I would run out of water would be if the entire pool ran dry. My pool has three intakes, bottom, skimmer and side wall kreepy krauly, all these have separate valves and can be controlled. I also have WiFi cameras and WiFi controls that if i notice pool running down I can shut pump off, no this has never happened, but I love control.
I hope this helps you.
I have also hired someone to come in and do chemicals and clean the pool, add water while I am gone. But this is done with very little confidence in these people. My water feed also has a timer to shut off if you forget it on.
Good Luck

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”