Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
NJC2020
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Heavy rain Affects on the Pool

Postby NJC2020 » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 14:47

It rained here in the south of England earlier in the week for 24 hrs , The result was quite alot of dirt and the pool turning a yellowish , slightly green colour.

I have put the Polaris to work cleaning the pool , I have also done 1 Back wash on Friday , I usually do it weekly on sundays

I added some Chlorine on Friday night and all seemed ok , I checked Today again and it seemed low so I added even more chlorine. After doing this , I added all my algecide to the pool and I will leave my filters on over night.

How long will it take to go back to pristine and clear , Only last weekend people were commenting how clean and clear the pool was and its a little disheartening that some rain has changed all this.

Will I need more algecide , shall I check the chlorine again , shall I do another Back wash and Rinse etc.

I am interested in any assistance , Thank you

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Heavy rain Affects on the Pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 04:36

NJC2020 wrote:It rained here in the south of England earlier in the week for 24 hrs , The result was quite alot of dirt and the pool turning a yellowish , slightly green colour.

I have put the Polaris to work cleaning the pool , I have also done 1 Back wash on Friday , I usually do it weekly on sundays

I added some Chlorine on Friday night and all seemed ok , I checked Today again and it seemed low so I added even more chlorine. After doing this , I added all my algecide to the pool and I will leave my filters on over night.

How long will it take to go back to pristine and clear , Only last weekend people were commenting how clean and clear the pool was and its a little disheartening that some rain has changed all this.

Will I need more algecide , shall I check the chlorine again , shall I do another Back wash and Rinse etc.

I am interested in any assistance , Thank you

How do you test your water? You really need a decent test kit to get the correct numbers, strips are widely inaccurate
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
My pool:
Pool chemicals:
My pump & filter:

The fact that your chlorine is being eaten up rapidly suggests you may have an algae bloom and need to Slam
If you have to SLAM (shock level and maintain) you will need a lot of liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite, plain bleach)
Algaecides aren't necessary for a properly sanitised pool and a lot introduce copper into the pool turning it green
Also backwashing is only necessary when the filter pressure goes 20-25% over the clean pressure
NJC2020
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby NJC2020 » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 13:53

I have colour chart with phenol red and DPD tablets

The green disappeared but now the surface is a little cloudy and not as crystal clear as last weekend.

I have 2 options to wait or to use a water clarifier , should I buy and if so can you recommend a product
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 15:15

You really need to be able to get all the numbers to check what to do and not guess
A FAS/DPD test kit is the recommended type to get which can measure high Chlorine
You don't want to start adding a clarifier
If you have a sand filter you could add a couple of cups of DE to just raise the pressure a little which will help clear any lasting cloudiness
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 02:00

Hello,

I think you should check its chlorine again. And you can also covered your pool when the rain starts. In this way you can protect your swimming pool from heavy rain affects.
wendyheath
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is quite big.

Postby wendyheath » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 00:29

Hi, most of the time in heavy rain the cover doesn't work.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 03:05

Call a pool expert and let him examine and suggest.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 02:30

marvinwalters wrote:Call a pool expert and let him examine and suggest.

With answers like that do we need a forum? Would TFP make suggestions like that?
Try finding a real pool expert that's the tough part.
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 08:13

This is a very general problem which you are facing because it is very common that heavy rain affect the pool if it is open. Therefore I suggest you should buy retractable pool enclosure for saving your pool from heavy rain affects as well as minor accidents in case of children. However, it also allows you to swim comfortably all year-round.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”