Floatron

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
katlos

Floatron

Postby katlos » Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:28

we just bought a house with a pool. the previous had a "Floatron" in his pool. he swore by it but it sounds too good to be true. does anybody else swear by it or sweat at it??? I am thinking that if it is that good everyone would have one but they don't so that is why I am trying to research it here on the web. thanks for any info.

davio

Re: Floatron

Postby davio » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 01:40

katlos wrote:we just bought a house with a pool. the previous had a "Floatron" in his pool. he swore by it but it sounds too good to be true. does anybody else swear by it or sweat at it??? I am thinking that if it is that good everyone would have one but they don't so that is why I am trying to research it here on the web. thanks for any info.

Floatrons work great at reducing your chlorine usage and sanitizing your pool. Mine has been too good to be true, but don't mention it at the local pool stores or even some forums. I've had one since day one and that was 6 years ago. I have never shocked my pool.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:46

Snake Oil....save your money.

The floatron, pool frog, pool wizard, etc all work by adding copper and/or silver to your water...just like a cheap algaecide. They do not and cannot sanitize the water alone and only effect algae. These devices will not do anything to remove pee, for example. The bottom line is that a properly chlorinated pool doesn't have algae, and thus doesn't need one.

You only need to shock a pool when you have CC (combined chlorine). A floatron has nothing to do with shocking.

If you do decide to get one, please take pictures for us when your blond friends hair turns green. :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
momof9
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 36,000-gallon vinyl inground pool, originally installed in 1973. Hayward pump. Sand filter. Two returns (midway and shallow water), no main drain, one skimmer. Floatron ionizing water since 1998

Postby momof9 » Thu 02 May, 2019 10:37

We've used a Floatron in our pool for 20 years and love it! You DO still have to sanitize your water and the company tells you that. But our use of chlorine was reduced drastically and we don't have to buy other chemicals. With the exception of a couple of times when we have been gone and the chlorine levels weren't proper, we do not get algae like we used to...and our pool area is surrounded by trees.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 06 May, 2019 12:35

Most people who criticise these type of things, (copper silver ionisers) have never actually used one. Forums often provide people who just spout what they have picked up 2nd or 3rd hand an place to do so.
I have no doubt your pool had problems momo, 36,000 gallons and only the one skimmer! That's not going to help you.

My only reservation with copper silver ionising units is when they are suggested for use in tiled/plaster/pebbletec etc finished pools where there is a much greater risk of staining. The thread "Is this scale" could well be due to metals, many multi action pucks have copper in them (little blue flecks) so staining can happen.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”