powdered shock/chlorine tabs never completely dissolve

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
mystic

powdered shock/chlorine tabs never completely dissolve

Postby mystic » Mon 24 Jul, 2006 21:08

For years i have had the same problems with powdered chlorines and shock. the stuff does not dissolve properly. Powdered shock just never dissolves...I have turned to liquid shock to solve this. But, I can't help but wonder why this is. Also, my chlorine tabs never completely melt. I end up throwing them away and adding new ones which only half dissolve. Pool water tests out okay for PH and I keep the chlorine level up to where it should be. Why won't my powdered chlorine dissolve properly?

HABS_SD

Postby HABS_SD » Wed 09 Aug, 2006 14:54

How is your alkalinity and stabiliser? These are important factors on how quickly your chlorine gets used up (or not used up) in your pool?

If you don’t have a four way test kit (CL, PH, alk, & stab) I highly suggest that you do the $10 investment. Having proper water chemistry will save you so much grief in the long run.

Hope that’s fixed the problem!

Re: powdered shock/chlorine tabs never completely dissolve

Postby Guest » Thu 10 Aug, 2006 14:04

mystic wrote:Why won't my powdered chlorine dissolve properly?

It may be precipitating out of solution because of high pH and/or high alcalinity.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Wed 16 Aug, 2006 15:19

Does it not dissolve in the pool or in a bucket when you premix?

If it is in the bucket, there is just not enough water for the product to be fully absorbed.
In the pool, it should eventually dissolve. Water temperature plays a large part of dissolution/

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”