pool leak

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
randypape
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18 x 36 inground vermiculite pool

pool leak

Postby randypape » Thu 24 May, 2018 19:49

last year we had to add a lot more water into our in ground pool than previous years.
I did the dye test inside the pool except down by the main drain, which is where the leak is I believe. When I close off the main drain at the valve by the pump/filter, there are no bubbles in the pump basket. If I put the valve in the middle, so it's 50/50 with skimmer and main drain then there's a few bubbles. If I close off the skimmer then the pump basket is loaded with air bubbles. My neighbor is going to dive down to my main drain and do some dye testing and research the problem down there in the deep end.
I'm hoping it's something simple and not too expensive to fix. At the end of last season a company was going to come out to leak test things for $350.00the first hour and then see how long it takes for results. I didn't have them come out because he couldn't answer me how he was going to leak test the main drain without going in the pool and plugging it? Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? thanks Randy

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: pool leak

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 25 May, 2018 06:06

Hi Randy
It definately seems like it's your main drain line that has a leak
Most main drains have a hydrostatic relief valve to allow ground water in when the pool is drained to prevent floating. Although if it was leaking it would suck water back in and not air
The leak could be anywhere between the pool drain and your valve. I would plug the main drain and then pressurise it from the valve end to see if the pressure drops or shows/hear air escaping
randypape
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18 x 36 inground vermiculite pool

Postby randypape » Mon 28 May, 2018 23:11

Hello Dennis,
I have my pool up and running and I'm still leaking a little bit of water and the air bubbles in the basket are the same as when I closed it up last year. As long as I keep the main drain closed at the valve, the pressure stays constant and there is no air in the pump basket whatsoever. I dug down to the pipe and fitting that comes up to the valve from the main drain, and the dirt does seem a little damp there. I don't think it's leaking all the water that I would be losing in that area because my basement wall should get wet and the ground near there and it doesn't. I've attached a picture for you to look at of that area and let me know what you think. Thanks Randy[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/786d2789de9bd1206ba89777a346c73f.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/a1db2c779025be7d0966f221f00d2400.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 29 May, 2018 01:55

I can't see the images because I have a problem with mybroadband

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”