I have been defeated. Flocculent not settling. Help

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
miksharac3

I have been defeated. Flocculent not settling. Help

Postby miksharac3 » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 05:37

I am done., discouraged, pooped. Been working on my pool since beginning of May. Have done everything I thought I should and what you all said. Except... last night I added hth drop out flocculent, ran on recirculate for 3 hours from 3-6 pm. Shut off filter and let sit overnight. There is a huge gathering of yellowish-brownish foamy junk sitting on top. Nothing has settled like it said it should. I have people coming today to swim and am so upset because they wont be able to. Before I put in the floc my numbers on my pool time test strips (still waiting on my test kit) were:
TC - 10+
FC - 9
PH - 7.2
TA - 120
CYA - 90
How do I get this gunk off the top of my pool?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: I have been defeated. Flocculent not settling. Help

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 06:55

Your previous numbers indicate you have combined chlorine of 2 which means you need to Slam with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and recommended Pool Levels
Is it not possible to scoop as much off the top and skim the rest through the filter and back wash after or float it off
miksharac3

Postby miksharac3 » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 08:20

I can skim but why isnt it settling
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:07

miksharac3 wrote:I can skim but why isnt it settling

No idea, it could be pollen. I don't use flocculant it tends to gum up the filter unless you vacuum to waste. It may have done it's job and there is muck on the floor of the pool as well as the floating stuff
Why did you use a flocculant was there a problem with your water
miksharac3

Postby miksharac3 » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:10

I didnt listen to everyone on here and thought I knew better. I dont.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 14:35

miksharac3 wrote:I can skim but why isnt it settling

Simple, it's less dense than the water so it's neutrally buoyant or just buoyant.
Put a skimmer sock into your skimmer and leave it running until it has collected the muck.
Depending on how mucky it is you may need to change the socks from time to time.

The sad part is so many people post on pool forums not knowing what they are talking about and giving advice on products they haven't used, Especially on TFP. (not having a pop at you Dennis :D )
People often think I am a smug pool owner with a constantly perfect pool and they would be right :lol: Last year, just to try and identify with the issues some seem to have I didn't put my pool away properly or clean it before covering. I had guests all season and they love to cover the children in horrible amounts of sun crap which sent my phosphate levels soaring by the end of the season. I didn't shock before closing just left it until the end of May with all the winter debris on the cover (lots of decaying leaves) For the first time in 12 years YUK!! raised the free chlorine level to high shock 48 hours before removing the cover, added phosphate remover and flocculent fitted skimmers socks, reconnected the pump and ran the system continuously (it runs 24/7 anyway) water became clear after 72 hours, phosphate back to zero and clear again. It is not difficult if you follow decent advise. During the clearing there was a lot of floccs to remove as they were stringy and nasty. The one thing pool shops don't have is a way to condense time, sometimes you just have to wait. The better the filtration the less time you'll wait. Oversized pumps and undersized filters make it worse and cost more to run.
munron
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt chlorinator 100,000 litre

Postby munron » Mon 02 Mar, 2020 23:44

Fresh water hose on mist all over the surface 2 or 3 times helps floculatted material find its way to the pool bottom

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”