New at pools, need info

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

New at pools, need info

Postby Guest » Wed 26 Jul, 2006 13:00

Hey, were moving into a house it has a inground pool with some algae, dead bugs, dirt, and leaves. The water look really clear though. It comes with a vacuum and heater but there is no info on how to run any of this or how to take care of the pool.The pool has a jacussi that that creates two water falls into the pool the water isn't as clear as the pool but you can see into the bottom. Any info would help. I bassically know it needs chlorine, cleaned with the vacuum and the net scooper and that you swim in it. I don't even know the terms to use on some of the stuff it comes with. what i know is from what i have seen our neighbors do to the one they got from walmart for us. I'm a kid but my siblings and parents know nothing. We have an uncle who's job is to take care of pools like these.And we will contact him to get info about running the pool but any other info would help because he lives in another state and is hard to reach him at times.

Thanks.

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:56

there is alot, I would research as much as you could online about the equipment and tools you have, unless someone it standing in front of your system it is yard to tell what you have and what to do to run it properly.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
Philco

Automatic dosing systems

Postby Philco » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 04:57

I have a newly refurbished pool, 11 metres x 5.2 and now realise I need an automatice dosing system as we cannot allways check chemicals and no-one is available in the village - what are pool users experinces with automatic dosing systems are they any good ?

:?:
me

Re: Automatic dosing systems

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 20:09

Philco wrote:I have a newly refurbished pool, 11 metres x 5.2 and now realise I need an automatice dosing system as we cannot allways check chemicals and no-one is available in the village - what are pool users experinces with automatic dosing systems are they any good ?

:?:

You know, proper water balance goes a long way in insuring a low-maintenance pool. You may only need to add chlorine once or twice a week. Reading pH and chlorine levels takes a few minutes. Pools are not the maintenance nightmare people say they are.

If you're handy get a big reservoir, fill it with bleach and run a peristaltic pump (Stenner comes to mind - look on eBay) off a timer to feed chlorine at regular intervals. This works well. You may still need to read the pH weekly and adjust, though.

You may also want to consider salt water generators. They require a significant amount of salt in the water (3000 ppm, you can *almost* taste it) and the chlorine from the salt is produced though electrolysis. You may also need to check the pH with such a system, as the sodium from the salt produces sodium hydroxide which raises the pH. And the cells do require replacement after a few years and they are not cheap. Some people like the feel of salt water, others do not.

Other low maintenance systems include UV and ozone, for which I have no experience whatsoever.

I'd start though by getting the water balanced and talking to knowledgable pool people. Your pool should only require about 5 minutes a day of maintenance. It's not a money pit nor something that requires constant attention, it's there so you could enjoy it.
Poolnovice22
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Poolnovice22 » Tue 15 Aug, 2006 18:59

hey Pooluser, I have been in the same boat, but with a smaller simpler pool with no Jacuzzi or heater.

Having been researching a nd learning myself, I can suggest a few things which are pretty easy to understand.

Firstly, go and get yourself a Chlorine/PH testing kit (A decent one) Tests are easy to do and keeping levels correct is great news for your pool.

Secondly, buy some PH plus and PH Minus granules from your pool store, this will help keep the PH level just how your want it.

Next I would advise some way of chlorinating the pool. Most pools have Skimmers (outlets at the top of the pool which collect leaves etc) You can get chlorine tablets from your pool shop, which sit in the basket and slowly disperse chlorine.

Also, Make sure you research all about your pool's filter. We had a lot of problems with ours at first, due to not understanding it. Make sure you know how to perform regular Backwash procedures on your pool, to clean the filter.
Where there's a will theres a way... I think

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”