water problems

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
tws

water problems

Postby tws » Thu 16 Jun, 2005 19:13

Last year I had problems with alkilinity.I finally got the levels right by the end of the summer and also got rid of the stains and green tint to the water. I just opened the pool and the water is green, again. Any suggestions?

John B.

Postby John B. » Sat 18 Jun, 2005 11:12

You don't say if the chemicals are right such as the pH and the TA. If they are. Shock with liquid chlorine, run your filter for 8 or more hours, shut it off and let the particles settle out. Give it a good vacuum and back wash. What you are seeing may be an algea growth if the chemicals are all OK. Best of luck!
John B.

Postby John B. » Sat 18 Jun, 2005 11:13

You don't say if the chemicals are right such as the pH and the TA. If they are. Shock with liquid chlorine, run your filter for 8 or more hours, shut it off and let the particles settle out. Give it a good vacuum and back wash. What you are seeing may be an algea growth if the chemicals are all OK. Best of luck!

Postby Guest » Tue 21 Jun, 2005 14:00

With the exception of this year, I always find it that every time I open my pool, the water is a bit cloudy and has a green tint to it. While filling the pool, I shock it and give a good dose of algaeside. It takes a few days, depending on how cloudy the pool is, to clear itself up. I backwash every few days to clear the filter. This year, I opened the pool nearly a month ahead. It was still cool outside and the pool water still cold. The weather wasn't warm enought to cause any algae growth or to cause any chemical changes in the water below the cover. The water was somewhat crystal clear both below and above the cover.

Currently the water in my pool has a green tint to it. I know that the ph is low and the chlorine is good. I need to balance the chemicals but it's hard right now. We've had a few rain spells which tend to cause problems with the pool... It tends to cloudy up the water a bit... Usually clears up with extra shock, algaeside and frequent backwashes.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”