changing the sand made my water cloudy

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.

Postby Guest » Thu 16 Jun, 2005 21:24

Ok first we noticed a bunch of sand settled on the bottom... so we had changed the sand in the filter... now the next morning, the water had become very cloudy... Ive tried adding dry acid to lower the pH but I havent noticed any change. Is it a problem with the pH or is this a problem from the new sand?

Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Gov » Sat 18 Jun, 2005 17:23

I doubt it is a problem with your sand.
Either take a sample of water to your pool store or check it yourself.
I would add a clarifier either way once a week.
tommy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tommy » Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:55

It is from your sand cause the new sand have very small pieces of sand and when you firstly operate pool with filtering application they pump into pool and become mug.
And the solution is that you have to use flocculant/ coagulant and then sweep vacuum it at the next day or 6-8 hours later. And then bachwash the filter and rinse it.
Addition if you rinse the sand when you first fill the filter you would not have that problem.
msgibby1
I'm new here
I'm new here

cloudy water after adding zeobrite

Postby msgibby1 » Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:49

we didn't know to backwash and rinse after adding the new media and now our pool water is really cloudy--what should we do??
msgibby1
I'm new here
I'm new here

cloudy water after adding zeobrite

Postby msgibby1 » Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:50

we didn't know to backwash and rinse after adding the new media and now our pool water is really cloudy--what should we do??
BraddockPools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BraddockPools » Sun 17 Jul, 2005 22:30

Tommy is right. You have to backwash and rinse a filter after adding new sand. The best way to remedy your problem is to floc it. Go buy a bottle of Super Floc, Power Floc, or Down N Out. All of them are the same so it doesn't matter which one you use. They are alum based chemicals that bond with suspended particles in your water and drop them to the bottom. Put your pool in recirculate mode then add the Floc through the skimmer. Let the water circulate for 3 hours and then turn off your pump for 24-36 hours. All the suspended particles will settle to the bottom and you can then vac them to waste.

Also if you add acid just because you think your Ph is high, that's not a good thing. Go buy a bottle of AquaCheck test strips. They are easy to use and you will know what your pool needs. Don't buy the cheap strips from wally world, they are a waste of money. And clarifyer is a very weak floc. It's not a bad idea to use a matinence dose once a week, but I doubt it will fix your current problem.

Justin
braddockpools

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”