Rebuild with Quartz - Looks awful

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
JoeG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallons, Triton 60 DE filter, pump with basket and clear cover, heater.

Rebuild with Quartz - Looks awful

Postby JoeG » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 18:10

We had our 20 year old pool redone by having the plaster and tile removed, and then having new tile (looks nice!) and quartz applied. The acid wash of the quartz came out horrible. You can see boot prints and broom sweep streaks throughout the pool. The guy who runs the business that did the works wants to drain the pool after swimming season, and try to acid wash again. He was out of the state when his crew was tasked to do the original acid wash, and he agrees that it doesn't look very good. He has promised to fix it.

What are the chances that it can be fixed with an acid wash, or am I looking at having the quartz removed and reapplied? The whole job has cost me $13k.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Rebuild with Quartz - Looks awful

Postby Teapot » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:00

Well I admire your chap for wanting to put things right. Acid will soften the surface and allow it to be re-worked somewhat, obviously depends on how bad this is. Alternatively using an underwater angle grinder and diamond disk it could be done without draining if there is not to much of it.
JoeG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallons, Triton 60 DE filter, pump with basket and clear cover, heater.

Postby JoeG » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 15:03

He has tried the disc, and it doesn't help. So he opted to drain it and try again after the swimming season.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 15:31

JoeG wrote:He has tried the disc, and it doesn't help. So he opted to drain it and try again after the swimming season.

Amazed, concrete polishing is big business in the US, same technique just under water.
drowned_drone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4x5x2, ceramic/tile type w/ gliding surface

Postby drowned_drone » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 22:53

Can you throw us a picture of your work?
my article dedicated to hot tubs!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”