PH Level 6.3 - and other numbers

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
DarylMeese
I'm new here
I'm new here

PH Level 6.3 - and other numbers

Postby DarylMeese » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 11:06

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.

We were on vacation a few weeks ago and our daughter received chemical burns in a public pool. The pool operators are acting as if 'this sort of thing just happens sometimes.' What we want to understand is if this does just happen, or if they were not maintaining the pool appropriately. It feels to us like they are writing it off and will not make changes to their pool care procedures unless forced to do so. Here are the numbers:

Free Available Chlorine .11
Total Chlorine .77
Combined Chlorine .66
pH Level 6.3
Calcium Hardness 135
Cyanuric Acid 209
Phosphates 3273
Saturation Index -2.1
Endure 0

So, is the state of this pool something that simply happens, and happens quickly? What would cause it? Or was this pool not being properly maintained? I'm afraid other people, especially children, will be injured if they are being negligent and do not accept the responsibility to change how they care for the pool.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: PH Level 6.3 - and other numbers

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 15:49

DarylMeese wrote:Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.

We were on vacation a few weeks ago and our daughter received chemical burns in a public pool. The pool operators are acting as if 'this sort of thing just happens sometimes.' What we want to understand is if this does just happen, or if they were not maintaining the pool appropriately. It feels to us like they are writing it off and will not make changes to their pool care procedures unless forced to do so. Here are the numbers:

Free Available Chlorine .11
Total Chlorine .77
Combined Chlorine .66
pH Level 6.3
Calcium Hardness 135
Cyanuric Acid 209
Phosphates 3273
Saturation Index -2.1
Endure 0

So, is the state of this pool something that simply happens, and happens quickly? What would cause it? Or was this pool not being properly maintained? I'm afraid other people, especially children, will be injured if they are being negligent and do not accept the responsibility to change how they care for the pool.

I would suggest that those numbers are terrible
Are your
FC,TC,CC correct at .11.77 and.66, if so they are horrendous with no sanitation at all
With your CYA at 209 your chlorine is virtually ineffective (a CYA of 100 would require a chlorine of 12ppm)
A pH of 6.3 is definately acidic
It doesn't simply happens, the pool isn't being maintained correctly. They are negligent by being ignorant of keeping the pool maintained correctly and in my opinion responsible for any effects on their clients

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”