de and dirt returning back to pool

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
jlcygan

Postby jlcygan » Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:17

de and dirt are returning back into the pool with old and new grids. any ideas what to do?

Postby Guest » Mon 31 Jul, 2006 19:17

I'm having the same problem. We have a Hayward DE/cartridge filter. It's about 11 years old and our old cartridge ripped after 10 years of use. We purchased a pleated filter to use without the DE, pool was clouded, went back to a new DE cartridge with DE and it cleared up for 2 weeks, now it's shooting the DE back in the pool.

It's getting annoying, We can't seem to get it to filter properly. Were we just that lucky with our old one?
Mudsow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mudsow » Mon 31 Jul, 2006 19:21

Just getting used to this forum, my username wasn't posted, and I want to make sure I recieve an e-mail if there are more replies.

:lol:
Mudsow
PoniGirl

de and dirt are returning back into the pool

Postby PoniGirl » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 06:38

Ah!! I am not the only one, I just simply run it without using any de, and my pool gets pretty crystal blue even with out it. If your still having problems try using a flocculant which binds the small debris together and makes larger ones your filter can catch.
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Tue 01 May, 2007 17:52

You've got either torn grids, bad backwash valve, cracked plumbing inside the filter. Never run a de filter WITHOUT DE.
Carefree Solutions

Postby Carefree Solutions » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 19:57

To everyone having "dirt" and DE shooting back into their pool! You need to take your filter apart! First thing is to check the Source that is suppost to be "blocking" the dirt and DE from returning. even if you have the smallest whole in the grid that can cause the filter not to work. If you feel the bars across inside and there broke, that means you need a new one. Or if you see dirt inside of the grids there is a small whole you cant see. Its smarter to replace the WHOLE set at once instead of one at at time.

Yes and to Poni girl NEVER EVER run a DE filter w/o DE that can cause ALOT of Problems. Where you would only be spending about 250-400 for new girds, you would now pay prob over 1500 to fix the whole filter and some pluming.

Source:
cfpools
Lisa is PA

Bad backwash valve?

Postby Lisa is PA » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 09:59

I am also experiencing DE back into my pool. Last season my filter would not backwash, only clear water was coming out and my pool dealer told me to check and replace any torn or worn out grids, which I did. Now I am experience the same thing. When I try to backwash only clean water comes out. I was very courious that you mentioned a bad backwash valve might be the problem. I have a multiport valve. How can I determine if my valve is bad?
Thanks,
Lisa
chrisinspring wrote:You've got either torn grids, bad backwash valve, cracked plumbing inside the filter. Never run a de filter WITHOUT DE.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 15:40

As it has been stated before, the reason you would have debris returning back into the pool is either A: torn/thinned out grids or B: not enough D.E. medium. Also, when you put the D.E. in your pool, are you throwing in a bunch of scoops at once, or are you slowly adding it to the filter allowing it to disperse evenly over the grids?
pool-newb

Postby pool-newb » Sun 22 May, 2011 09:43

I have a Jandy DE filter that started returning DE into the pool after 2 years. I took the filter apart and I can not find any grid damage and the backwash valve seems to be working properly. I did compare a schematic I found on-line and I see that I do not have the "breather tube" in my filter. That leaves a little hole in my manifold, could that be how all the DE is getting back into my pool? It just seems like so much DE for that small opening! Thanks in advance!
poolpridepro

Postby poolpridepro » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 15:49

pool-newb wrote:I have a Jandy DE filter that started returning DE into the pool after 2 years. I took the filter apart and I can not find any grid damage and the backwash valve seems to be working properly. I did compare a schematic I found on-line and I see that I do not have the "breather tube" in my filter. That leaves a little hole in my manifold, could that be how all the DE is getting back into my pool? It just seems like so much DE for that small opening! Thanks in advance!

Yes, you must have an air bleeder tube assembly in place on the top of the manifold, or you will 100% get dirty unfiltered water and de returning to the pool in a major way!!!!!!!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”