milky pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Southernpool3

milky pool

Postby Southernpool3 » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 12:42

For my milky problem the cause was a leaky sight glass on the sand filter.

Allen G MYerson

milky pool

Postby Allen G MYerson » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 20:29

Southernpool3 wrote:For my milky problem the cause was a leaky sight glass on the sand filter.

A leaky sight-glass would not cause you any problems other than whatever water leaked out during backwash.

It certainly would not cause your pool to get cloudy or milky.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

milky pool

Postby chem geek » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 02:01

It sounds like your filter is not capturing fine particles. If it's a sand filter, you can inspect it for channeling and to improve filtration you could Add DE to a Sand Filter . If you have a cartridge filter or just want to clear things up faster, you can use a polymeric clarifier such as GLB Clear Blue or BioGuard Polysheen Blue.
alisa4052

milky pool

Postby alisa4052 » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 14:50

My pool looks like the milky water is blowing into the pool from the blowers the rest of the water is clear. We just cleaned the filtration system and filters. It has cleared up a little bit but it is still blowing out milky looking water any sugestions for my problem.
alisa4052

milky pool

Postby alisa4052 » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 14:53

also the top of the water has a white film looks like soap suds but isn't and keeps bubbling up. HELP. :D
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

milky pool

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 17:40

alisa4052 wrote:also the top of the water has a white film looks like soap suds but isn't and keeps bubbling up. HELP. :D

This sounds like an excessive amount of linear-quat algaecides were used to treat the pool? If this is the case, it will eventually go away on it's own and is nothing to worry about!
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

Specializing in pool service and pool repair
everready

milky pool

Postby everready » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 13:31

what type of filter are you using de,sand, or cartridge ?
julie

milky pool

Postby julie » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 10:56

I may be too late but, this is what worked for us on the Intex pool. Don't add any more chemicals, turn the filter valve at teh top on to full air and leave it that way for a couple of days. You will need to skim the pool from all the milky scum every few hours and either clean or change the filter at least once a day but as often as you deem necessary. You will slowly notice a change in the water. It's not a scientific answer but it worked for us. Our kids were swimming in it a couple of days after.

Good luck

Julie
bealjudy

milky pool

Postby bealjudy » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:45

In my past experience of having a pool for 20 years, cloudy water was caused by chlorine tabs or powdered chlorine. If it seems like the more chlorine you add, the milkier it gets, that is probably your problem. Also can be worsened by adding several products at once. There seems to be a residue to powder chlorine in any form. We switched to liquid chlorine and never had the problem again. It was much easier and less costly. :wink:
stacey1987
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: below ground pool/ sand filter it is a big pool not she how big

milky pool

Postby stacey1987 » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 22:36

i have put to much chlorine in my pool now it has gone to milk :/ will it go bac to normal or do i have to put something in there please help!! :thumbup:

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”