green pool water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
robbjm
I'm new here
I'm new here

green pool water

Postby robbjm » Tue 01 Aug, 2006 00:27

Two days ago, my pool water turned green. I'd been away for 2 weeks, but my pool water looked clear. I put in 3 gallons of liquid chlorinator shock, and almost immediately it turned green. Test strips registered 0 free chlorine, so I added more shock. Still no free chlorine. I had the pool water tested today, and was told to raise the pH, add stabilizer, and 6 bags of shock ("Burnout 35"). Did this. The water is still green, and there's still zero free chlorine registering? HElP!!!!!!!!!!!

HABS_SD

Postby HABS_SD » Wed 09 Aug, 2006 14:51

Best I can suggest from personal experience is that you need to keep shocking, cleaning out the filter, vacuuming the bottom and filter 24/7. I’m having similar problems, but basically you keep doing this with a bit of patience and all will work out eventually.

What is happening in your pool is that the algae is eating up the chlorine (even the over chlorination of the shock) and so you get no free chlorine. It doesn’t help that the rest of the water chemistry is not up to par, but having a balanced water chemistry at this point unfortunately will not fix your problem on its own.

One more suggestion. Shock and chlorine in times like this can add up in $$ very quickly. If your local drug store has a sale on bleach, you can use this as well to save some $$. Keep in mind that this is only good for shock purposes and that bleach cannot replace the use of chlorine. You would nee 1 US gallon of bleach for 1000 US gallon of water.

Hope this helps. Worked for me. I know it’s frustrating, but keep at it :wink:

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”