Can dry ground and cracks affect Gunite?

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.

Postby Guest » Wed 02 Aug, 2006 10:00

We in the process of building. We've been having plumbing issues so our pool was dug a month ago, but just sitting with rebarb since then. We can see huge cracks, some 2 inches thick, in the ground all around the pool. We haven't had rain and are in drought conditions which is what's causing the ground to crack. Is this going to affect gunite? Will the cracks in the ground settle later after the rains come and cause the pool to crack some time down the round? I'm so worried about this that it's driving me crazy! The pool builder doesn't seem to be worried about it.

I'd appreciate any adive on this matter.

Thanks!

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Wed 02 Aug, 2006 15:11

Won't matter about the cracks, the concrete will fill them in. It is nothing to be worried about.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
1firewire

Re: Can dry ground and cracks affect Gunite?

Postby 1firewire » Tue 08 Aug, 2006 19:03

Anonymous wrote:We in the process of building. We've been having plumbing issues so our pool was dug a month ago, but just sitting with rebarb since then. We can see huge cracks, some 2 inches thick, in the ground all around the pool. We haven't had rain and are in drought conditions which is what's causing the ground to crack. Is this going to affect gunite? Will the cracks in the ground settle later after the rains come and cause the pool to crack some time down the round? I'm so worried about this that it's driving me crazy! The pool builder doesn't seem to be worried about it.

I'd appreciate any adive on this matter.

Thanks!
Hello there.You have some valid concerns as a homeowner ,I was wondering if your pool is on any kind of sloped yard and or next to maybe a hillside?Did your pool builder submitt your pool plans to an engineer for structural steel and did he have any kind of soil test? These are all status quoe for a respectable pool builder.In general the gunite or shotcrete is a monolithic shell that is sprayed or shot in and takes the shape of the excavation behind the shell and finished product on the inside pool surface.It is very rare to a have pool crack after completion but it can happen,speaking from experience.Unfortunately it was caused by substandard engineering wich is also rare.To answer your question, Soil will expand and contract and it sounds like your soil is contracting due to drought conditions but know that it will also expand in due time, the cracks in the soil are common.After the shell goes in there is alot that happens around the pool, such as pouring your deck for example where the soil will be compacted in preperation for the concrete,so anything loose or open could possibly close up. Iv'e seen it many times but have never had a problem with it.You are experiencing some pretty common issues and shouldnt have anything to worry about.It is not uncommon to see check cracks {hairline cracks} after gunite or shotcrete.It is important to properly cure your new shell by keeping it wet for 3 to 7 days depending on your region.I understand how much it means to be a new swimming pool owner and see your investment come to life and be able to enjoy it for years to come.Please remember to be patient during the construction process and give subcontractors a cool glass of water on hot days, a little bit goes a long way.Sincerely Corey Culley Sr. Commercial Aquatics Superintendant and Gunite Superintendant K.C. Gunite a Division of Paddock pools Mo.
trish

Postby trish » Thu 13 May, 2010 18:06

We are in the process of building our own pool. I was instructed by the excavation co. that you want the gunite in asap. Our pool was dug on May 5th, rebar in on 6th and plumbed on 7th, gunite on Sat. Electrical on Monday. We just had the tile and coping done yesterday. Deck guys here tomorrow. So far I would recommend doing your pool yourself and save over 20%. You have full control of date and can call the subs to confirm when they will be here. My problem is that i don't know when to plaster over gunite. We have been watering it 4 to 5 times daily. I have heard everything from days, to 10 days to 28 days to cure gunite. When do I arrange for plaster???????????
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 13 May, 2010 19:39

trish wrote:I have heard everything from days, to 10 days to 28 days to cure gunite. When do I arrange for plaster???????????

Hi Trish,

What you heard is correct in the sense that it is somewhere in between. It usually takes about two-three weeks for gunite to cure. I personally like to wait til the 28th day. Especially if it's being watered down as frequently as you say you are. So don't panic. I see you have taken all the appropriate steps already by taking care of the tiling,coping and deck in the meantime. You can start thinking about scheduling for plaster sometime next week for the 28 day or so. I'm pretty confident by the the shell will be ready for it.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 17 May, 2010 22:49

You are in the rocking chair.
When you consider 12" bottom gunite thickness being on one side constantly cooled and wet, it takes good tree weeks to cure for plaster. That is of course not fully cured. Full hardness curing will take months. As long as you have hydrostatic plugs open and working, you have plenty time to pick your plaster guys and the type of plaster. Just don't skimp on plaster it will pay off in a long run. Crushed quartz in a Diamondbrite will give you the same feel as the marcite to walk on but with lot more durability, better water color to choose from and extra hard surface.
Good luck!
One word of caution:
Do not start plaster if breeze over 8-10mi/hr is predicted.
Working with faster drying plaster will cause burns and dark spots from burning the substance.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”