Pool bugs

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Melinda

Pool bugs

Postby Melinda » Tue 01 Mar, 2005 12:58

We live in San Diego, CA and have had a tremendous amount of rain the last month or so. We have little black bugs in our pool. They are tiny and numerous. Does anyone know what they are?

jesse8698

Pool Bugs

Postby jesse8698 » Tue 08 Mar, 2005 17:32

Same problem here!, I'm concern that it could be moskitos and now with the news about the nile virus I'm afraid my pool has turn into a moskito breeding area. I really need to know what can I do to stop this, are there any quemicals that can help? everything else is perfect in the water but I won't feel same until the bugs are gone, I'll appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Inground concrete 72m2
Tiled overflow pool
2 Hp pump mono
Fiberglass sand filter 920mm
Tiled deck

Pool bugs

Postby Larry » Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:11

Without being able to see these bugs it is hard to comment on what they might be. Generally bugs cannot live in pool water with a free chlorine level of 1.0ppm, though some insects are known to survive.

Mosquitoes, although unlikely to survive, are usually not black in their larval stage. The mosquito larvae appear as a comma shape, with the fatter part at the surface of the water (they breathe air), and the "tail" hanging down. They exhibit erratic jumpy movements in the water.

If you believe they may be mosquitoes, a chlorine shock treatment should get rid of them in no time.

Larry
jesse8698

Bugs

Postby jesse8698 » Wed 13 Apr, 2005 23:56

Thanks for responding, These bugs look more like fleas than mosquitos, there were thousands of them all over the pool even though the water levels were perfect, after skimming most of them and another shock treatment they were gone but after a week they were back. Also, my pool was finished last september and we were able to use it about 2 weeks before the weather got too cold here in October, we just started using it again 3 weeks ago but I let the pump circulate every day through winter, is it time to replace the filter now? how often should it be relaced and how is it done?
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Inground concrete 72m2
Tiled overflow pool
2 Hp pump mono
Fiberglass sand filter 920mm
Tiled deck

Replace filter

Postby Larry » Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:59

What kind of filter have you got?
jesse8698

Water Bugs and Filter

Postby jesse8698 » Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:33

The filter is a C3025 Hayward fiter, I bet is full of those water bugs, should I just clean it or replace it?, also, to make things worst, there is no more water pressure coming out through the jacuzzi, water does come out from the jets but not even close to how it used to be, this just started today and I don't understand why, I'll appreciate your advise, thanks.

Postby Guest » Thu 12 May, 2005 12:50

You should clean the filter every week or two.
bmcanall

Bugs (springtails) in pool

Postby bmcanall » Wed 03 May, 2006 16:42

The following is a copy from another user, I have the same type of bugs. An exterminator told me that these were springtails. Do you know anything about these? These bugs look more like fleas than mosquitos, there were thousands of them all over the pool even though the water levels were perfect, after skimming most of them and another shock treatment they were gone but after a week they were back.
SaltPoolWithBugs

Another thread - related?

Postby SaltPoolWithBugs » Thu 01 Jun, 2006 20:48

Maybe this thread will help you:

viewtopic.php?t=481

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”