cloudy from shock

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
jeanette

cloudy from shock

Postby jeanette » Tue 08 Aug, 2006 10:18

Let me tell you in order:

pool was fine, then all of a sudden is green - shock does nothing
they told me I was over-stabilized & take out 18 inches from bottom of pool & refill.
OK, still around 80 but go ahead & use 4 bags of shock one day & 4 bags the next day.
Now it looks like milk.
run filter two days, nothing much...
then I used floculant
Finally clears up & after running filter constantly
Absolutely beautiful!

So now I want to be real careful and keep all levels good, so I throw in two bags of shock (this is pool life rapid shock they told me to use so it doesn't interfere with stabilizer).
MILK AGAIN.

Is it the brand? Why does this shock make my pool so cloudy?

Any ideas?

Thanks. :roll:


Guest

Re: cloudy from shock

Postby Guest » Thu 10 Aug, 2006 13:38

jeanette wrote:Let me tell you in order:

pool was fine, then all of a sudden is green - shock does nothing
they told me I was over-stabilized & take out 18 inches from bottom of pool & refill.
OK, still around 80 but go ahead & use 4 bags of shock one day & 4 bags the next day.
Now it looks like milk.
run filter two days, nothing much...
then I used floculant
Finally clears up & after running filter constantly
Absolutely beautiful!

So now I want to be real careful and keep all levels good, so I throw in two bags of shock (this is pool life rapid shock they told me to use so it doesn't interfere with stabilizer).
MILK AGAIN.

Is it the brand? Why does this shock make my pool so cloudy?

Any ideas?

Thanks. :roll:


Supposing the shock you're buying is calcium hypochlorite, the calcium component takes a bit longer to dissolve so yes, the water may get a bit cloudy for a few minutes. Higher levels of alcalinity combined with a higher pH exacerbates the situation.

It may take a few days for all that calcium to completely dissolve, 8 bags may be too much, what is the pool volume?
Guest

Postby Guest » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:08

Rapid shock is not the problem. The calcium int he shock is not the problem. The algea is the problem. When you kill green algea it turns....Grey! TADA! Looks like milk. It is a filtration issue. What type of filter do you have? As for it turning grey again- just because you don't see algea doesn't mean it's not there. It is clear first. When you shock it it turns grey. You're not maintaing a proper level of chlorine and algea is growing.
me

Postby me » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 21:21

Anonymous wrote:just because you don't see algea doesn't mean it's not there.


If this were true you would see it as an increase in chlorine demand.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: Majestic [bot] and 1 guest