Goldline "Aqua-Rite" salt chlorinator problems

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
marykskin

Postby marykskin » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:23

I just ordered a flo switch for 80 delivered. I just need to know exactly how to install it to make sure it is sitting in the correct position.

Guru Of Pools

Postby Guru Of Pools » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:15

Marykskin,

On the flow sensor there will be arrows, the arrows point in the direction of the flow of water. So if you were to follow the pipe from the filter as it would flow the water back to the pool the arrows should be pointing away from the filter and toward the pool. Pretty simple to do. Also make sure you put some Teflon tape or some type of sealant on the threads before you screw it into the fitting.

Good luck,

The Guru of Pools at DiscountPoolWarehouse.com
B Pools

Postby B Pools » Sun 16 May, 2010 13:28

I have a problem with no power coming form something in my power box, But I am getting power to the box. Any solutions. Brian
Maxliv

Postby Maxliv » Sun 16 May, 2010 16:58

Hi everybody,

Just started my goldline aqua rite salt system last week. I was getting a white cloud coming out of the jets on startup. Called goldline support and they told me the water was probably not balanced...So this week-end I made sure the water was perfectly balanced and started up the system again. I still got this white cloudy myst comint out of the jets... !

If any one knows the cause of this...Please let me know !

thanks,
donspill

Postby donspill » Mon 24 May, 2010 21:09

The lights on my aqua rite system come on with the blinking no flow light for a minute or so, then the generating light comes on for about 10-15 seconds, then all lights go off. It still has power, but it is not generating. The chlorine level dropped to next to nothing, the water turned green overnight, and I had to shock it and run it for a day or two to get it somewhat clear. Is this a control board problem or is there a problem with the salt generater? I have a call in for a service call, but I would like to save the money if I could fix it myself. Any suggestions???? Thanks.
zimzum83
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am an office manager/technitian for a swimming pool building and service company. My job requires to be able to help customer with their swimming pool, but even tho I have been around pools and obtain certifications I still feel like I dont know enough about everything related to a swimming pool.

Postby zimzum83 » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 20:57

I completly understand what you are talking about. I just now staring running in to customer who's Goldline controls are not longer under warranty and I know the economy is hard and all, but the first customer I could not hook him up because his warranty was on his 5th year and I had to charge him for a turbo cell. OMG I though this guy was going to drive to the office just to kick my butt LOL. It was kind of funny, but I couldnt help to feel bad for the very loyal customer who once espend a large amount of money in having us build his pool. I had to let my boss handle it and he let the customer make payment in the turbo cell and we still gave it to him at our cost and not even the regular retail cost, but the customer still thinks that wasnt enough help. Some times people forget what are the important things in life and that they should be greatfull to be healty and if 300 bucks for a new cell was too much he should of use chlorine tabs untill he could gather the money, but we dont know anything or have our own problems at home.
deuce1980

not producing chlorine

Postby deuce1980 » Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:12

Brookie,
My salt chlorinator is doing the same thing. What was the cause of your problem?
Thanks

brookiebrooke wrote:My pool was badly stained (iron) so I bought some stain remover that worked great. The only problem was you had to drop the chlorine down to about zero in order for the stain remover to work, which I did on Friday. The pump had to run 24 hours with the aqua rite OFF in order for the stain remover to work.

I switched the chlorinator back on Saturday evening. It's now Tuesday evening, and despite having run the chlorinator almost non-stop for 72 hours, there is virtually no chlorine in the pool at all. The salt reading isn't going down either, so I can tell that the chlorinator isn't using the salt to make chlorine.

I read a couple online posts that said if your chlorine gets too low it can help to shock it to "stimulate" chlorine production. So I threw 2 bags of super-shock in today. That didn't help.

So I removed the cell and saw that there was quite a bit of while build-up on the cell. I let it soak in the suggested muriatic acid/water bath for a few minutes then reinstalled. I plugged it back in and set it to "superchlorinate" but after 3 hours, it appears that it is still not making chlorine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the chlorinator to NOT produce chlorine and what I can do to fix it? There is plenty of stabilizer and salt in the pool.
zimzum83
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am an office manager/technitian for a swimming pool building and service company. My job requires to be able to help customer with their swimming pool, but even tho I have been around pools and obtain certifications I still feel like I dont know enough about everything related to a swimming pool.

Postby zimzum83 » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 15:50

I had that happen to me once last year, but it was with my buddys vynil liner pool. Ok first off I would suggest to check for multiple things to find out your problem.

One make sure cell is in good working condition, and if you can take it some where and have it test it. I would clean is with acid before you take it any where, because they might charge you to clean it. I know most of the time the cell looks clean, but it can always have something in it. I would buy plugs and plug one end of the cell and use only acid no water and let it sit for couple minutes not too long and see if you see any bubbles come out, and then rinse the cell and do the other end the same way; make sure you fill up the cell only with acid. once you put it back together and start your pool up, check the instant salt reading in the salt generator and compare it to the average salt reading. if still doesnt look right to you then you can move to the second step.

Take your cell and a good water sample of you pool and make sure you remeber all the reading on your salt generator, and your own test on your pool water. I would advice to write down your serial number for your salt generator just in case the cell has to be replace. Once you get to the local pool store have them check your chemicals, and if everything checks out all right including your cell, then ask them to check for nitrates, botares.

If you do this 2 steps you should be able to resolve your problem in one day no questions ask, and keep in mind test strips some times can be wrong. unless you are using a digital reader, or a water computer analysis I wouldn't trust to much your test strips in cases like this.

If you have any questions send me a messege and I should be able to respond it with in couple days, and good luck with your problem.
Tracy

Postby Tracy » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:48

donspill wrote:The lights on my aqua rite system come on with the blinking no flow light for a minute or so, then the generating light comes on for about 10-15 seconds, then all lights go off. It still has power, but it is not generating. The chlorine level dropped to next to nothing, the water turned green overnight, and I had to shock it and run it for a day or two to get it somewhat clear. Is this a control board problem or is there a problem with the salt generater? I have a call in for a service call, but I would like to save the money if I could fix it myself. Any suggestions???? Thanks.

Same thing happened to my pool this week. What did you do?
zimzum83
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby zimzum83 » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:05

First dont think you could fix it yourself unless you have a buddy that happens to work for Hayward Warranty center. It sounds like the circuit board has goone bad, but it also sound like the turbo cell is not doing it's part. My recomendation would be to check your serial in your equipment and if starts with a 5A06 number you are out of luck, and what I am trying to say is that if you can prove you only had the unit for no more then 3 years you are cover. If you had it for over 3 years then you are out of luck. I am sorry for your trouble and I know the replacement parts are expesive, and hope you can resolve the issue.
riverdogg8899
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: my pool is kidney shaped and about 12,000 gallons

Postby riverdogg8899 » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:58

Hi Ralph,

If its a knock off of a gold line cell you can't guarantee its working ability. I have had great results with gold line though. I do know the cells do go bad about every 3-5 years depending on how they are maintained, water chemistry etc. There are a few things to make sure your cell lasts as long as possible. First, make sure that you clean your cell with a 4/1 solution of acid to water. Let it soak until no bubbles are present from calcium. Do not stick any kind of metal object in the cell to dislodge any kind calcium. Keep the chlorine between 2700-3500PPM always. Make sure not to over acidtize your pool. Remember, in hotter climates the cell is going to work harder to produce chlorine and will not last as long as a pool from a colder climate. If the chemicals are balanced it will reduce the amount of chlorine generation so your cell will not have to work as hard.

If you need any help we might be able to help you here.

Good luck,

Rob

All these tips may help you from the cell burning out too fast.
ArizonaRalphie wrote:I have a 20 x 40 fiberglass pool with a one year old "Mineral-Springs" salt sanitizer. The unit is actually a re-branded Goldline Controls "Aqua Rite" unit and seemingly has ceased working. I have weekly pool service and the unit has been cleaned several times, the las by me. It's clean as a whistle and the salt reading is just about 2600. Of course, it's calling for salt, but also the "check cell" light continues to flash.

My pool service people (also the folks who installed it originally) have told me that two months ago, they knew it was on it's last legs and are in the process of having the manufacturer replace it. They also told me that they replace 3 or 4 per month since they have trouble handling water here in Mohave County Arizona.

Has anyone else had trouble with there types of units, either here in Arizona or else where in the country? Seems like if they have problems, they shouldn't be sold in the first place.

Ralph
too tired

Postby too tired » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:28

I no one thing for sure Goldline salt generators are JUNK... When I plug mine in the transformer makes a loud bang,The thing sometimes clorinates and sometimes it wont and I have cleaned the unit.The High salt does not work anymore ,The reset will not work anymore. Whats next. I dont recomend them to anyone .
Jeff Rogers

Postby Jeff Rogers » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 14:49

I had the Mineral Springs unit and you are right it is the same as the AquaRiter by Hayward. That was a big plus for being able to obtain a replacement cell for it. I had another unit that was made by Compupool that did not make enough chlorine for my 23,000 gallon pool even though Compu Pool claimed it would. In talking to several different pool stores I found out that the Aqaurite / Swimpure / Mineral Springs is the only unit made by a major manufactuer and it is made in the United Staes and not some 3rd world country like many of the others. I am an electronics engineer and once I looked at the difference between the circuit boards on the Hayward Aquarite VS the discount brands I saw where the other guys take shortcuts. Trust me you only want the Aquarite. For the difference in price (roughly 20 to 30% more) you are getting a unit that is desined to take the wear and tear. I have replaced my Cell twice in 8 years and was happy to pay for a new cell to get the dependabilty and Chlorine production you get with the Aquarite.; Don't fall into the trap of buying one of the bargain brands. You will not be happy long term - I did it and I know.
Kevin Chambers

Postby Kevin Chambers » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 14:55

I Agree with Jeff only get the AQUARITE unit by Hayward. It performs as advertised and will make the amount of chlorine they claim. The other make big claims and then have an asterisk * with a diclaimer about how the heat of the water and all kinds of other factors will effect the output. Hayward Aquarite does the best Job in my opinion and my pool store offers 4 kinds but says Aquarite is the strongest. Mine was only $179.00 more than the cheapest off brand they had. So for piece of mind I spent the extra money and have been 100% satisfied !! :D
Ken Alexander

Data

Postby Ken Alexander » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 14:27

eng wrote:I had problems with my cell too. It seems like every 2 years they go bad. I got tired of paying money to get it replaced. I am an engineer, so I started studying how they work. It seems that the root of the problem is the temperature sensor at the cell. Check the temperature by pressing the button next to the display. Use a thermometer in the pool to check the water temperature. Is it off by more that 5 degrees? If it is, then you salinity will be wrong and it will call for more salt. The cell will shut down automatically. To overcome this situation I open my cell and cut the two wires on the side of the cell (red and blue). These are the temperature sensor wires. I installed an 8.5 K ohms resistor between the two wires. This will give you a forever temperature of 86 degrees. After that, the cell started working properly. Since I have a fixed temperature now I used salinity strips to keep track of the salt. This worked for me. If you want to do it, go ahead at your own risk. Other that this, there is no other way around it. I heard from other people having the same problem.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”