POOL WATER TOO WARM

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
LSTX

POOL WATER TOO WARM

Postby LSTX » Tue 21 Jun, 2005 20:42

We're in Dallas, TX. We put in an inground pool this April. The water is already getting warm. It's 84 in the morning and around 89 in the early evening. We are running the pump at night. Any suggestions on how to lower the water temperature. Or is this normal for Texas?

Thanks!

econdave
I'm new here
I'm new here

water warm

Postby econdave » Wed 22 Jun, 2005 05:58

maybe drain some water out and add water from hose?
ArizonaRalphie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ArizonaRalphie » Wed 22 Jun, 2005 17:19

Seems to me that it's pretty normal for anywhere HOT. I don't think pumping it off and filling is going to do much. Here, in the summer, we just don't have cold water. The streets heat up, then the water line which, because it is insulated by the dirt and the street, just stays pretty warm. You might try block ice, in quantity.

Postby Guest » Thu 23 Jun, 2005 13:11

Also in Dallas area and have the same problem...I'm going to try using our extra freezer to make block ice, then add to pool when I'm in it! It will be a fun experiment for my kids anyway. I was thinking about trying to cover pool with the winter cover during the daytime and uncover when we swim...when i finish the deck, that's the next project. One thing I like to do is let the water go down a bit (maybe 2 inches) then fill with hose.
That cools it off alittle for one swim, but the next day it's hot again. Mine aint bad though, temp is around 82. I like it around 75 or less to cool off.
vaughanwilliams
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby vaughanwilliams » Thu 23 Jun, 2005 13:39

How about getting a solar heater? Sounds crazy? Solar heaters shouldn't be used at night, "because they dissipate heat and you lose what you gain during the day."
With a solar heater you'll get a nice warm pool in spring/autumn, and a "cool" pool in summer. Just don't run it during the day in the summer!!
regards

Vaughan Williams
Technical Director
Octopus Pools
lstx

Postby lstx » Thu 23 Jun, 2005 17:04

Thanks for all the great responses to my hot pool question. think we'll just have to swim "hot" during the high summer. Also, I think we need to add some shade by our pool. That full sun it gets all afternoon sure doesn't help matters.
lstx

Postby lstx » Thu 23 Jun, 2005 17:08

Thank for all the great responses. I guess we'll just have to swim "hot" 8) this summer. The direct sun our pool gets all afternoon doesn't help matters any. Thanks again for the replies. I've got some ideas now.
Heckendorfmortgage

evaporative cooler

Postby Heckendorfmortgage » Sun 21 May, 2006 01:07

Perhaps a shade sail and an industrial fan to increase evaporation/cooling
SlimJim

Pool Water Too Hot

Postby SlimJim » Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:39

We live in central Arkansas and understand the water getting hot. The problem is easy to fix. Get a pool fountain and run it at night. The water temp will come down nicely. I got in trouble with the wife because it got too cool.
arz

Postby arz » Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:26

Evaporative cooling is the correct answer!!! But maybe not how you thought. The Pool fountain leaves room for interpretation and expense. In Arizona all pools are built with a return that is above the water surface, these are known as "areators" they work like a sprinkler above the water, misting, or sprinkling the surface and the evaporative effect that water has as it returns to the pool is amazing. I had temps as high as 94degrees at the end of the day before I turned the areator on. We run our pump all night 6pm to 6am and turn on the areator the whole time, it usually brings the temps way down you will notice a change in one evening.
Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Wed 02 Aug, 2006 06:57

You could also get a heat pump with a chiller.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
bbmfkp
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bbmfkp » Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:03

I live in north carolina and my pool person said that a lot of people throw ice in their pools in the summertime. I like my pool about 90 so it doesnt bother me. :D
atlantafalcon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14' X 42" Intex above ground metal frame pool.

Pool Water Too Warm

Postby atlantafalcon » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 13:35

Hello All,

New to the board. First post.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to contribute the little bit of knowledge I've garnered from research online and some testing. We live in south Georgia and have an above ground pool of around 3,800 gallons. With the heat wave we've been experiencing the past few weeks, the water temperature is around 89-90 degrees.

USING ICE: Sounds like a great idea, huh? Tried it. My first thought was that a 3 gallon frozen bucket of ice (1 gallon of water is around 8 pounds) MUST be better than 24 pounds of bagged ice. It would seem that the small pieces from a bag would melt quicker than a single large block, because there's a greater surface area to ice core ratio. Well, apparently there's a Myth Busters episode out there that disproves this theory. I haven't seen it, but saw it mentioned in an article a week or so ago.
After I put my bucket of water in the deep freezer, I jumped back online and came across a formula in another article about adding ice to a pool to cool it off.
The formula is as follows: Take the number of gallons of water in your pool and divide it by 1,000. Multiply that number by the number of degrees you would like to reduce your water temperature. Then multiply the resulting number by 43.75.
To reduce the temperature of my 3,800 gallon pool just 5 degrees would require 832.25 pounds of ice. Yikes. Here is an extremely technical page that explains the physics of what's going on: http://www.askdrthermo.com/askdrt/sec_53/x4_not_cool/not_cool.html
Seeing the pointlessness of throwing my 3 gallon (24 pounds) block of ice into the pool, I did it anyway just for fun. It was gone in less than 10 minutes and had no measurable impact whatsoever.

USING A FOUNTAIN: Using a fountain hooked-up to the pool return, running it only at night when the air temperature is cooler than the water temp, has worked great. The first night the temp went from 89 degrees to 82 by the morning. The misting effect cools the water in smaller volumes flying through the air and also introduces small bubbles of cooler air into the large body of water (aerating) as it comes crashing down. Pretty simple. This, of course, speeds the evaporation process, but it's better than draining your pool and refilling it, getting the salt-system chemistry all out-of-wack in the process. Also remember that running the fountain during the heat of the day day will have the reverse effect, so get your butt out of bed and unhook the fountain before it gets too hot.

My next step is to research reflective silver panels that float on top of the pool and see if they might help fight-off the effects of the sun when we're not using it during the day. If anyone has any insight, please let me know. It's all an uphill battle of sorts, but a little bit of gain is worth it.

AF
kdalton

POOL WATER TOO WARM

Postby kdalton » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 14:29

Hey,

Just put in a inground pool here in Houston and having same problem. The only thing I can find online is some $1500 pool chiller. I was thinking about radiant barrier bubble wrap. Five degrees is huge!

Let me know if you come up with some solution!

Thanks
KD

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”