problem with hardness

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
mazile

problem with hardness

Postby mazile » Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:03

The pool company tested my water and told me my TH was 180ppm. They said to add 8lb hardness-raiser to my 26,000 gal pool (I'm not sure exactly what compound it was, but it was recommended by Leslie's).

After adding the calcium compound, I tested for hardness. The instructions on the test kit say to add 5 drops of hardness indicator (a blue solution), and then the sample water should turn red "if there is hardness present." When I add the hardness indicator, the water does not turn red. It is a very pale beigy-sort of color. Having just added 8lb of hardness, it is hard to believe that there is no hardness present! (I do live in a very soft-water area, but this is ridiculous!)

After adding drops of the hardness titrant, the instruction tell me, the water should turn blue. No matter how many drops I add, the water never changes color -- not even a little.

I don't understand this. What is the problem? The test kit is brand-new.

I would sure appreciate some help w/ this. Leslie's has got me so tied up in knots, I don't know where to turn.

ej19530

hardness

Postby ej19530 » Tue 01 May, 2007 17:13

I feel your pain, we just got our water tested at Leslie's and were also given a large amount of hardness treatment. I tested it using strips and the hardness reads fine. I'm just wondering how much they're trying to sell chemicals? Maybe you should purchase another type of test kit just to make sure there isn't a problem with the one you're using.
me_too

Re: problem with hardness

Postby me_too » Wed 09 May, 2007 12:47

mazile wrote:The pool company tested my water and told me my TH was 180ppm. They said to add 8lb hardness-raiser to my 26,000 gal pool (I'm not sure exactly what compound it was, but it was recommended by Leslie's).

After adding the calcium compound, I tested for hardness. The instructions on the test kit say to add 5 drops of hardness indicator (a blue solution), and then the sample water should turn red "if there is hardness present." When I add the hardness indicator, the water does not turn red. It is a very pale beigy-sort of color. Having just added 8lb of hardness, it is hard to believe that there is no hardness present! (I do live in a very soft-water area, but this is ridiculous!)

After adding drops of the hardness titrant, the instruction tell me, the water should turn blue. No matter how many drops I add, the water never changes color -- not even a little.

I don't understand this. What is the problem? The test kit is brand-new.

I would sure appreciate some help w/ this. Leslie's has got me so tied up in knots, I don't know where to turn.

180 ppm calcium hardness should be fine, ideally it should be between 200 and 400. So you're good. You would want to keep it at the lower end of the range if you're using cal hypo as a sanitizer.

The problem may be with your test kit and/or reagents. Also the endpoint of the titration may be affected by metals in the water; it may not be as sharp, or may be a different color. What test kit are you using?

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”