TSP treatment for Calcium Hardness

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
mericaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mericaz » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 10:43

How much TSP should I use in a 10,000 gallon pool? I used the initial Phosfree treatment, have backwashed the filter, and my test readings are as follows:
PH: 7.4
Total Alk: 150
Cyanuric Acid: 100
Calcium hardness: 1225
Total Dissolved solids: 1100
Copper/Iron: 1
Phosphates: 50

Should I use the TSP to reduce hardness, and if so, then what do I do after?

I appreciate any help you folks can give me....Mericaz

me

Re: TSP treatment for Calcium Hardness

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 15:14

mericaz wrote:Should I use the TSP to reduce hardness, and if so, then what do I do after?

Do not use TSP. It's a source of phosphate.
mericaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mericaz » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 15:37

I understand you can use TSP to reduce calcium hardness in pool water when followed up with Phos-Free...a product that removes the phosphates. There was several posts regarding this method, but there were no specifics.

I just need to know how much to use for a 10,000 gallon pool, how long to leave it in and when to add the Phos-Free.
me

Re: TSP treatment for Calcium Hardness

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 20:10

mericaz wrote:I understand you can use TSP to reduce calcium hardness in pool water when followed up with Phos-Free...a product that removes the phosphates. There was several posts regarding this method, but there were no specifics.

I just need to know how much to use for a 10,000 gallon pool, how long to leave it in and when to add the Phos-Free.

Sorry then, I can't help with TSP.
desmondo

Postby desmondo » Sat 14 Apr, 2007 18:46

Hey, did you ever get a solution to this problem? I have a similar one, altho my pool's hardness is 500, so not quite as bad. I can't seem to find any professionals with any ideas on how to reduce pool calcium hardness, other than to half drain and refill the pool.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 15 Apr, 2007 16:44

With CH of 500 you could simply balance off with TA if you wanted to. What is the pool made of?
me_too

Postby me_too » Wed 09 May, 2007 13:02

desmondo wrote:Hey, did you ever get a solution to this problem? I have a similar one, altho my pool's hardness is 500, so not quite as bad. I can't seem to find any professionals with any ideas on how to reduce pool calcium hardness, other than to half drain and refill the pool.

It's actually the best solution. Calcium can be very difficult to deal with, and I would say it's the first parameter driving the water balance equation; you can always adjust the pH and alkalinity to compensate for higher levels of calcium but the reverse doesn't work.

So for a CH of 500 keeping your pH somewhat low, say 7.2, and the alkalinity in the vincinity of 80 should work. This water balance may be considered by some as somewhat corrosive, but with the higher temperatures inside the water heater, it turns out perfectly balanced. Assuming of course you have a water heater.

The other solution is to sequester the calcium using various chemicals but before going that route I would play with the water balanceas a first step.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”