Green Algae that just will not disappear after 3 day--HELP!!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
r j

Green Algae that just will not disappear after 3 day--HELP!!

Postby r j » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 06:42

Hi.. I have a 33,000 inground pool which developed an alage problem on Thursday..the water went into green basically overnight. I've changed the chlorine tabs we were using..have tested the water daily at the pool store and they have sold me gobs of algaecide and shock to keep throwing in there.. This morning the pool is still green and I'm sure the water is growing toxic! Does anyone have any suggestions.. I was sold a clarifier but they said do not put this in until the green disappears. HELP
my email is rjmclass at optonline.net or answer on this blog.. thanks!

wendy

Pool Algae

Postby wendy » Sat 26 Aug, 2006 08:11

Hi I am having a similar problem with my above ground pool. My tester kits are showing that the Alkaline levels arre a little low - I am wacking in the PH increaser but no change yet. The bit that worry's me is that all the info I can find would suggest that the water will only turn Green if the chorine levels and PH are too high. My pool seems to be suffering from the opposite. If you have managed to find a cure for you pool- I wouls appreCiate it if you can tell me how you did it.
Nancy

Green Monster

Postby Nancy » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 08:08

I am also having a problem with algae after a whole summer without ANY, now we have a totally green pool after shocking it. Let me know if you found a way to get rid of it. I was told to put about 4 gallons of liquid chlorine in to kill the algae, but I'm afraid to put that much in.
Help!! :cry:
Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon 11 Sep, 2006 13:10

I too am having a terrible time getting rid of the Algae, however my pool company said Liquid Shock it till it clears. I have already dumped 10 gallons of Bleach in it and it is just starting to lighten. I am told the chlorine will not hurt it. Unfortunately we cannot drain our pool. If any of you find the solution, please tell me.

Postby Guest » Mon 11 Sep, 2006 14:56

Nancy wrote:I too am having a terrible time getting rid of the Algae, however my pool company said Liquid Shock it till it clears. I have already dumped 10 gallons of Bleach in it and it is just starting to lighten. I am told the chlorine will not hurt it. Unfortunately we cannot drain our pool. If any of you find the solution, please tell me.

What is your pool volume?
nancy

Postby nancy » Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:56

I do not know the pool volume however my pool is not green anymore now it is a very cloudy blue!!! Ugh chemicals after chemicals. I am so fed up at this point I think we are just going to close it.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Green Algae that just will not disappear after 3 day--HE

Postby kamkuda » Mon 09 Oct, 2006 10:37

r j wrote:Hi.. I have a 33,000 inground pool which developed an alage problem on Thursday..the water went into green basically overnight. I've changed the chlorine tabs we were using..have tested the water daily at the pool store and they have sold me gobs of algaecide and shock to keep throwing in there.. This morning the pool is still green and I'm sure the water is growing toxic! Does anyone have any suggestions.. I was sold a clarifier but they said do not put this in until the green disappears. HELP
my email is rjmclass@optonline.net or answer on this blog.. thanks!

1. Ensure you have good circulation and filtration (when you put your hand in front of the return jet, does it push your hand away? (many algae problems are not chemical related but do to poor circulation
2. Ensure that you are able to maintain a chlrone reading At the end of season, some pools can build a chlorine demand, Negative chlorine reading, YOu have to add chlorine just to get to zero chlorine. Some pool store can test this. (happens usually when fertilizer is applied near the pool or due to high demand on pool)
Scooper

Re: Green Algae that just will not disappear after 3 day--HE

Postby Scooper » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 22:14

Hi....I'm a pool professional in Australia and have stumbled on this forum!!!!
I live in a sub tropical climate and Green Algae is very common...and actually quite easy to get rid of.

1st and perhpas most importantly make sure your pH is around 7.3-7-4.....chlorine is most effective at this level. if pH is too high (say above 8.0) any chlorine you add is largely ineffective

Whale adjusting the pH, amke sure you thoroughly brush the walls and floor of your pool to really stir up the algae

Once the pH is correct - Lot's of chlorine (shock the pool) and ad a good quality algaecide if the infestation is thick, and finally a dose of clarifier and FILTER FILTER FILTER!!!!

Leave the filter running constantly until the pool clears, then ensure the filter runs for at least 8 hours per day
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 20 Feb, 2007 15:42

When you post a question like this the simple answer is to shock to about 15 ppm and run the filter non stop until the water is clear. However this will not always result in clear water either, it is much better to post your chemical results from the testing you have done so we have a better picture of what is going on.

For example rj's post includes a comment about changing from tablets. Tablets contain stabiliser. Too much stabiliser can make the water go green. But without test results we cannot tell.
jony

green

Postby jony » Fri 23 Feb, 2007 00:46

Adding PH powder how can you know,how many hours it takes to test again the PH content,before adding Chlorine a lots of chlorine
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 23 Feb, 2007 15:15

Generally speaking you can add the chlorine within say 20 minutes of making a pH adjustment. Retest the pH every 4 hours and retreat as required. The chlorine becomes more active as the pH decreases.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”