Leak?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
slimy_jimmons
I'm new here
I'm new here

Leak?

Postby slimy_jimmons » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 16:46

Thanks for help with the sand filter.
Now I have a new problem, I needed to shock the pool so I left the filter running all night and the pool level dropped about 6" during the night. I had just filled it up yesterday. I thought it was loosing a little to much water to be evaporation, but everyone told me that what was going away ( 1" to 1 1/2") every 3 days or so was normal for SE Texas summer.
It appears to me that I have a leak in my plunbing somewhere, or my multiport is leaking to waste somehow. I can't find where the water is going, but my ditch in front keeps a little water in it all the time.
Is there an easy way to find out where the leak is?
Also the clear indicator appears to me to be on the waste outlet protion of the multiport valve, so the water would have to be going to waste to show water in the galss.?????? :oops:

me

Re: Leak?

Postby me » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 21:55

slimy_jimmons wrote:Thanks for help with the sand filter.
Now I have a new problem, I needed to shock the pool so I left the filter running all night and the pool level dropped about 6" during the night. I had just filled it up yesterday. I thought it was loosing a little to much water to be evaporation, but everyone told me that what was going away ( 1" to 1 1/2") every 3 days or so was normal for SE Texas summer.
It appears to me that I have a leak in my plunbing somewhere, or my multiport is leaking to waste somehow. I can't find where the water is going, but my ditch in front keeps a little water in it all the time.
Is there an easy way to find out where the leak is?
Also the clear indicator appears to me to be on the waste outlet protion of the multiport valve, so the water would have to be going to waste to show water in the galss.?????? :oops:

Take a bucket and place it on one of the steps in the pool. Fill it with water at the exact level as the pool water. If at the end of the day if the water level in the pail is higher than the water level in the pool then you have a leak. If they're at the same level then the loss is caused by evaporation.

To find the leak turn off the filtration, wait until there's no movement in the water and put a few drops of food coloring in the water. You'll be able to see the water being sucked wherever the leak is.

Leaks may also be in the plumbing. Check the filter plug at the bottom for tightness, check the pump plug as well (mine is under the basket). Check for loose hose connections like at the return or under the skimmer. If plumbing is leaking use pipe dope as opposed to teflon tape for better lubricating and sealing. Also make sure any o-rings are well lubed with silicone. If the loss happened with the filter running I'd suspect plumbing/filtering.

Any water going through the waste hose goes through the sight glass. Water goes though the sight glass (and out the hose) when you drain, backwash or rinse.You need to keep an eye on it when you backwash as it indicates when it's over.
Poolnovice22
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Poolnovice22 » Tue 15 Aug, 2006 18:50

I have had leaks in my pool too, and the food colouring trick worked well. I checked the pool all over and tested whenever I saw a rough spot, or dark patch, or blemish of some kind, I checked by squirting food colouring from a pippett at the area. I found 6 small leaks in total, and was quite shocked.

This food colouring method can also determine wether there is a leak in the pipework. If you plug all the inlet's/outlet's with underwater stickers etc, then you pierce a very small pinhole in each one in turn, If the food colouring gets sucked through the small hole, then you have a leak in the pipe associated with that vent(s)
Where there's a will theres a way... I think

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”