Brown Stains Everywhere, Won't Come off

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Rick69

Brown Stains Everywhere, Won't Come off

Postby Rick69 » Thu 17 Aug, 2006 11:03

Hello,
I'm having brown stains on the walls and bottom of my pool, especially near the drain. I can only describe it as crusty brown stains that just won't come off no matter how hard i scrub, there's also some rust like stains on my vinyl steps. My water is clear and i don't think it's an algea problem. It's been happening very gradually over the summer and it's at it's worst now. I tested the water and my clorine level is at 1.0, sometimes going to 3.0 but it corrects itself and usually stays at 1.0. My ph and alk became a problem with my ph being 8.2 but i corrected it and is at 7.2, unfortunately after a day it raises again and i have to keep correcting it. My alk was at 150 ppm, it's been extremely difficult to bring down, requiring me to add dry acid at least once every 2 days to bring down the ph and hope it fixes the alk. Unfortunately, i have no idea what my hardiness is and how to test it. My pool is not stablized and has 32000 litres of water, i usually leave it on filtration during the day and setting it to whirlpool at night so i can add my chemicals and let it circulate. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be as specific as possible. thx in advance

kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 09:23

It is highly probable that you have a iron problem. Bring a water sample to a pool store, that can test for iron. The longer the stain stays, the more dificult it will be to remove.

You should stabilize your pool water. It will save you time and money on your pool maintenance
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 09:24

BTW. the reaosn your pH is difficult to lower is beacuase if a high total alkalinity. Bring your TA to the correct level and it will be easier to keep your pH in line

Postby Guest » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 20:13

buy some vitamin c then put it in blender and blend it into a powder form sprinkle some on your steps if severe staining put some potassiummonopersulfide with it your steps will be stain free

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”