high alkalinity

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
slayer30
I'm new here
I'm new here

high alkalinity

Postby slayer30 » Sun 20 Aug, 2006 18:42

I work at a multi pool facility where we have a 50 metre , wave pool, 16 man swirl pool and a tot pool. We have be having trouble with the swirl and tots pools the last few days. The alk in these pools have been high, around 160 to 180 the last few days.We dump these pools everyother day, and we use the water from the 50 metre pool to fill our two small pools . The alk in the 50 metre pool is at 100. Last night I drained both pools and filled with 50 metre pool water. I did test and it still read 180 in both pools, so I added acid and today the swirl is at 250 and tots is at 160. The 50 metre is still at 100. We check our testing reagents, they seem fine and are brand new. We have a computerized stranco system with gas chlorine which is ozoned asisted. our pool is 6 year old. thanks for any help.

Re: high alkalinity

Postby Guest » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 15:05

slayer30 wrote:I work at a multi pool facility where we have a 50 metre , wave pool, 16 man swirl pool and a tot pool. We have be having trouble with the swirl and tots pools the last few days. The alk in these pools have been high, around 160 to 180 the last few days.We dump these pools everyother day, and we use the water from the 50 metre pool to fill our two small pools . The alk in the 50 metre pool is at 100. Last night I drained both pools and filled with 50 metre pool water. I did test and it still read 180 in both pools, so I added acid and today the swirl is at 250 and tots is at 160. The 50 metre is still at 100. We check our testing reagents, they seem fine and are brand new. We have a computerized stranco system with gas chlorine which is ozoned asisted. our pool is 6 year old. thanks for any help.

The addition of acid would lower pH and/or alcalinity so the fact that the alk is increasing is somewhat surprising. Hummm, gaz chlorine. What is the pH of the swirl pool and tot pool ?

Looking at this from a chemical point of view, alcalinity has two components, carbonic acid (dissolved CO2) and bicarbonates. Is anything broken that could be injecting CO2 in the water? What's the filtration in use? Any new plaster anywhere? The pH would indicate the predominant component.

And this is just thinking outloud but would an excess of ozone cause an increase of CO2? This I don't know. Try turning off the ozone.

I'm stumped.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”