swimming pool plaster marbling

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
lamb

Postby lamb » Sat 12 Mar, 2005 18:22

I have a problem ( 7 year old gunite pool), my pool chemical man calls marbling. I've tried just about everthing we know, nothing is working. I do the regular periodic additions of stain inhibutors, algaecides, keep PH and acid, and chlorine levels right along with brushing often.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciatte it.

larrylamb@charitybbq.com

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Gunite problems

Postby Larry » Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:29

Do you keep the total alkalinity within the recommended parameters? This can be a cause of the "marbling" you mention.

Adding pH reducer without premixing/ diluting it can also do this to the pool's surfaces.

If you could give more info, perhaps someone could give you a more comprehensive answer.

Re: Gunite problems

Postby Guest » Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:37

[Thanks for your response. I know what caused the marbling - do you know how to get it out?

quote="Larry"]Do you keep the total alkalinity within the recommended parameters? This can be a cause of the "marbling" you mention.

Adding pH reducer without premixing/ diluting it can also do this to the pool's surfaces.

If you could give more info, perhaps someone could give you a more comprehensive answer.[/quote]
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Pool surface problem

Postby Larry » Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:56

What caused the problem?

Unfortunately most surface "stains" and discoloration are extremely difficult to treat. Generally painting or resurfacing is necessary.
Pool Help

Gunite pool problem

Postby Pool Help » Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:57

An acid wash will help. If the surface layer is thick enough the acid will "eat away" the top layer of damaged as well as sound plaster, leaving an even "fresh" layer behind.

Frequent acid washing does take its toll on pools, which then eventually need to be resurfaced.
winterhaven mmhp

Postby winterhaven mmhp » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 07:09

4 months after having a 12 yr. old pool re=plastered (surface only) the pool developed "marbling". some say this is due to the less than top grade plaster mat'l used. the contractor argues that some time and agressive water conditioning will remove this marbling. is he right?
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 13:14

If you refer to the shades or streaks of greyish, blueish and greenish tones, you may have a copper in the water. If you did not introduced the pool stain/sequestrant of a reputable quality with the very first fill-up, do it NOW.
Than have the pool water tested for metals. At least 3 diferrent stores!!

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”