Bugs in new swimming pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Marcie Karimi

Bugs in new swimming pool

Postby Marcie Karimi » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 11:45

Help!!! Discovered little black bugs - look like fleas since they hop around - in our new swimming pool and spa this morning. What can we do to get rid of little pests since we would like to swim in our pool? Any info is greatly appreciated. :twisted:

Scott the "bugman&

Fleas Hopping Around Poolwater

Postby Scott the "bugman& » Thu 05 Oct, 2006 22:08

Hello Marcie,
I am a pool owner myself. I am also a Board Certified Entomologist (entomologist is a fancy term for college educated insect scientist.)

YOUR QUESTION: "Help!!! Discovered little black bugs - look like fleas since they hop around - in our new swimming pool and spa this morning. What can we do to get rid of little pests since we would like to swim in our pool? Any info is greatly appreciated."

MY ANSWER: The insect that you are inquiring about is called a "Springtail" they are usually black or gray in color. They are harmless insects that feed on microscopic bateria and are often found in moist/humid areas of the house and in your lawn or landscape. I suspect you are finding the just above the water line and around the tiles or coping. The flea-like appearance is how it gets it's name "Springtail" it will project its self short distances with a fork-like appendage under its abdomen to escape preditors.

SOLUTION: By eleminating its food source "microscopic bacteria" you will solve the problem. Bleach and a scrub brush will do. (50% water/ 50% bleach). To speed up the removal of the spring tails you could coat a cloth or paper towel in a contact insecticide such as (Raid or any other over-the-counter bug spray) and lightly wipe the surface they are on). You may have to repete all of the above in about 3-5 days to get the stragglers or the ones you've missed.

Hope this helps...

Scott

PS: If you are a "chemiphobe" and want an all natural solution you could try "mint oil" or any another good suggestion would be any insecticide with the active ingedient..."pyrethrum" in it...which is derived from the chrysthanamum flower and very safe to use around people. Me personally I would use any contact insecticde and apply it with a cloth so that you dont spray it directly into the water.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”