Fiberglass or gunite???

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Poonamdpi » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:29

Hello,
Fiberglass pool are very quick and easy to install. Installation of a gunite pool is much more complicated, as all the work is done onsite. Whereas a fiberglass pool can be installed in a matter of days, concrete pools typically take weeks or even months.

fdasilva
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I’m looking at getting a Viking Fiberglass Pool or a Gunite with PebbleTec finish. I’d like to here pros and cons of both. I here fiberglass is easier to maintain and clean but I’ve also heard that the PebbleTech finish can do the same thing.

Postby fdasilva » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 16:03

We are looking to install either a fiberglass by Viking or a Gunite with the PebbleTech finish. In the research I’ve done it seems like fiberglass is easier to clean and maintain in the long run. But with the quotes I’ve gotten from our local Gunite pool company they can install the same size pool with the PebbleTech finish and it almost never needs replastering and needs less cleaning due to the smoother finish. I’m not sure if this is true. Both have lifetime warranties on the structure and the pool surface. They are about the same in cost. Please let me know any information on these. Thank you! fdasilva
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 06:33

Pebbletech is nowhere near as smooth as fibreglass. Pebbletech needs more management of chemical levels. Much easier to look after a fibreglass pool.
lucyjohn987
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I love doing swimming. My pool size is 12ft long

Re: Concrete Vs. Fiberglass

Postby lucyjohn987 » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 01:44

DiscontPoolWarehouse wrote:Graham,

I have to first confess that I am old school, when I first started in the pool industry Concrete was the dominant pool. Things have changed over the years and the options are many now all have their advantages and disadvantages. Here in, the best non-biased format I can muster is my opinion of the choices you list.

CONCRETE ADVANTAGES- This pool if built by a reputable builder will last several generations. The surface of the pool, if the water chemistry is well maintained will last for many years. I have seen a 25-year-old concrete pool that was in mint condition, it just needed an acid washing to bring back the dull color. This pool just looks great and you are not limited to what size or shape you want. The sky is the limit to what you can build. There are some pretty impressive concrete pools being built these days.

CONCRETE DISADVANTAGE- the price, depending on where you live, can be steep. If you are in a northern climate frost heaving can be a problem with the tiles in older pools. After a number of years the pool will have to be acid washed to bring back the bright white color of the plaster if you choose a white plaster finish. Acid washing tends to rough up the surface and after awhile it will begin to cut the feet. To solve this problem you will either have to resurface (expensive or paint, once you start painting you will be painting every 2-5 years depending on the type of paint you use.)

FIBERGLASS ADVANTAGE- This pool is easy to install so it makes it less expensive in most areas than a concrete pool. The surface is smooth and easy on the feet. They have done some great things in recent years with fiberglass pools and you can really dress them up. The pool is easy to maintain.

FIBERGLASS DISADVANTAGE-You are limited in size and form. The size of pool they make is limited to how big they can transport on the back of a truck, usually in the 14' wide range. Shapes vary from manufacture to manufacture and there are quite a few choices compared to 20 years ago. The surface of the pool is smooth and can be slick on the steps creating a slip hazard. If you are installing the pool in a sandy area it can tend to shift over a few years and then need to be reset. If you do not maintain the chemistry properly the pool surface can be ruined and the pool would have to be replaced or re-gel coated.

Well there you have it as un-biased as I can make it. I am sure there are some points I may have missed, but I believe I have hit the major points. I hope this helps everyone with their decision making process.

Guru of Pools
at DPW

Great post
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:13

Was it? More out of date information. Fibreglass pools are often made in sections and assembled on site so larger sizes are easily transported. Shapes and forms depends on the company selected so shop around for what takes your fancy.
greg g

Postby greg g » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 23:14

gunite = nice home

fiberglass = trailer park
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 00:38

greg g wrote:gunite = nice home

fiberglass = trailer park

Bullshit.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”