closing above ground pool

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Rolo2
I'm new here
I'm new here

closing above ground pool

Postby Rolo2 » Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:29

What level do you put your water at when backwashing and then closing your pool? How far down do you drop the level? Thanks.

Re: closing above ground pool

Postby Guest » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 22:09

Rolo2 wrote:What level do you put your water at when backwashing and then closing your pool? How far down do you drop the level? Thanks.

I don't drop the water level. Just remove anything that may get hurt in the cold temps. Why drain the pool - the snow and rain will just refill it - besides the entire pool doesn't freeze. If you live near areas with a lot of trees - you may want to get a pool cover to keep that stuff out so you don't have to deal with it come spring. I usually take the pump indoors to store and if you go to a local pool store, tell them what filter you have and you can buy a cover for it - mine is under $20 for the filter cover.

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:17

Intrestingly, I've heard of leaving all the water in the pool but have always drained in the past.

So my question is, if I unhook my pump (freezing weather here in PA... BRRRRRR) how do I keep water in my pool to close it? Is there a trick to this? Do I have to buy something to cover the skimmer opening and return hole? What?

After that, do I just cover it and forget about it? I got some free cover clips and this plastic thing that fits over the skimmer hole. Do I use that to keep the water in?

I'm lost and intrested in knowing how this is done. :)
Any thoughts?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: closing above ground pool

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:59

Rolo2 wrote:What level do you put your water at when backwashing and then closing your pool? How far down do you drop the level? Thanks.

Above ground: Remove the hoses from the skimmer and leave it open The pool will drain to skimmer level and any rain will overflow out. Put the pump & hoses in your garage and drain your filter as well.

In ground: If your pad is lower than your skimmer, simply plug the skimmer and return and let the water drain from the lines (after removing your pump). If the lines are uphill, you will need to blow them out with a shop-vac first to avoid later freezing.

There are skimmer covers for both that will help, but I have found the above tricks to be easier.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
cinbigd

Long Term Closing of Pool

Postby cinbigd » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:57

My father has an above ground pool and due to some circumstances in their world right now we need to see if we can close the pool year round. I'd like to be able to keep in in good condition so that when he's ready to sell his home it is useable and adds value to the home - but for now we need to eliminate the maintenance of it from his day to day schedule. He closes it for winter every year...my question is - is it safe to keep it closed year round? Is there anything special he should do differently than just what he does to winterize it?

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”