free chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Kim

free chlorine

Postby Kim » Wed 20 Jul, 2005 13:35

What exactly is free chlorine? Is that what's in the SHOCK or the tablets that my floating duck holds? Any help is appreciated.

Kim

free chlorine

Postby Kim » Thu 21 Jul, 2005 17:15

Hey, is anybody out there?
Cyber36

Free Chlorine

Postby Cyber36 » Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:43

Free Chlorine isn't actually a type of chlorine, it's the diffrence between what your pool water actually uses/consumes & what is left over at that point. 8)
Kim

free chlorine

Postby Kim » Fri 22 Jul, 2005 16:26

OK, so how do I add it back to my pool?
thanks!

Free Chlorine

Postby Guest » Fri 19 Aug, 2005 06:29

Free chlorine is the chlorine that is availiable to dissinfect the water. Combined chlorine is the chlorine that has joined with the ammonia and has formed chloramine. This is what causes the chlorine "smell". This is why you "shock" the water (to remove the Chloramine). Total chlorine minus combined chlorine equals free chlorine. Check out poolsolutions and look for info on "Breakpoint Chlorination".
Pool Help

Free chlorine

Postby Pool Help » Fri 17 Feb, 2006 13:51

Free chlorine is the portion of any chlorine you have added to the pool water that is available for disinfection.
Combined chlorine is chlorine that has started disinfecting but has run out of steam. It smells real bad and burns your eyes, but does nothing to keep the water clean.
Total chlorine = free chlorine + combined chlorine.

Free chlorine should be kept at 1 - 3 ppm
Combined chlorine should never exceed half the free chlorine value or 0.5ppm, whichever is the LOWER.
Combined chlorine is unwanted and undesirable; the less you've got the better.

Return to “Chlorine”