How old is too old to ressurect an above ground pool

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
writermom

How old is too old to ressurect an above ground pool

Postby writermom » Tue 19 Sep, 2006 15:07

We are in Ohio and an inground is not feasible or desireable. We would prefer an above ground (yes really!) that we will then deck ALL the way around.

We are looking at used pools and can get one for nearly nothing that looks sturdy but ... is probably well over 15 years old (probably could be even 20!) We know we need new liner, pump, etc. and plan to have about $1500 in that (ideally we are just getting the walls of the pool I guess).

Is there any problem with re-installing an old pool with new equipment, liner, etc.

I know a LOT of people said "Oh you'll have the same cost as just BUYING A NEW ONE!" but I'd like to know where they shop. We can't seem to even TOUCH a new one for less than $4k.

TIA!

Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Demons1964 » Tue 19 Sep, 2006 19:14

No need to be ashamed with wanting an above-ground pool, with the right decking they can look fantastic. And the price difference between in-ground and above-ground can't be ignored.

I recently built my own large above-ground pool as an owner-builder (I work in the industry), well more so a builder as I did all the back-breaking labour myself including excavation, assembly, plumbing and retaining wall!! I've got a 15'x38' deep-end steel-walled resin pool with SWG, great for play and swimming laps.

There's no problem with installing an old pool but you need to make sure it's capable of holding water without failing. So there are a few things to check. I'm assuming you're looking at a steel-walled pool. If so, you'll want to look at it still assembled but with the old liner removed to see the inside of the wall. The areas to look out for are wherever the steel has had holes punched and the zinc coating protection is pierced. So look for rust in the wall around the return outlet, the skimmer box, and the column of holes where the wall is bolted to itself. Also look along the top of the wall and the bottom of the wall for rust. Anything more than a stain and don't buy it.

You'll need to be careful about any areas where the wall has buckled that can puncture when full of water and/or pierce your new liner. It is particularly important to be careful of the wall during disassembly and reassembly.

If it's an oval pool some designs have steel channels that run underneath the pool that sit in the ground. They can easily rust out, especially after sitting in the ground for 15+ years. The track the wall sits in can also rust out. The deck can also suffer the same problem. Irrespective, check all bolt holes for rust, as well as all steel parts that have sat near or below ground-level.

If it's a resin pool (plastic deck, wall channel, vertical supports) your job is much easier to check.

If you want to post pictures for advice I'm happy to help out.
KFS

Thank you!

Postby KFS » Tue 03 Oct, 2006 09:47

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

We didn't get that pool (someone else beat us to it!) but the information you provided is invaluable and I can't thank you enough. We ended up purchasing a pool that is only 8-9 years old (knock wood!) and this information is wonderful!
Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Demons1964 » Tue 03 Oct, 2006 21:29

Glad to be of help.

Have you assembled your pool yet?
PT

BUCKLED WALL UNDER SKIMMER, CAN THIS BE FIXED ?

Postby PT » Wed 19 May, 2010 08:50

HOW DO I FIX A BUCKLED WALL UNDER THE SKIMMER. THE SNOWW FROM THIS FEB. HAD ADDED WATER TO GO ABOVE SKIMMER AND FROZE WHICH I THINK CAUSED THE WALL TO BUCKLE AROUND AND UNDER SKIMMER. CAN THIS BE FIXED EASILY OR DO I HAVE TO GET A WHOLE NEW POOL?

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”