Need help with filter

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
cathy

Need help with filter

Postby cathy » Thu 21 Jul, 2005 19:44

Help! I have very low water pressure when the pump is on filter or backwash. I have not changed the sand in 2 years, but I have used a liquid pool filter cleaner product from a local pool store. That did not help at all. I have checked the skimmer and the pump basket and cannot see any blockages. I have backwashed for several minutes and also washed out on Pump to Waste and Filter to Waste. My pool is also constantly plagued by green algae, although I use algacide as intstructed. This is an above the ground pool 28' diameter and I use chlorine. My local pool store doesn't seem to have any idea why the water pressure is so low, so Any help would be appreciated!

vaughanwilliams
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby vaughanwilliams » Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:52

Put your multi-port valve in the "circulate" position and run the pump. This by-passes the filter. If it looks like you are getting decent flow from your jets, then your filter is choked.

If you are still not getting decent flow from the jets, your trouble must be elsewhere than the filter.

In any case dig out the sand and replace it with Zeolite the next time you change.
regards

Vaughan Williams
Technical Director
Octopus Pools
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Pump pressure problem

Postby Larry » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:00

Is the pressure problem at the filter or at the return?

If the pressure guage is showing low pressure then the problem is on the suction line (a blockage perhaps), or the pump itself.

If the filter is clogged then the pressure guage will shoot sky high from the resulting back-pressure.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”