pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

Postby Debbiebe » Sun 24 Sep, 2006 21:27

Hi, I have been fighting this problem for 4 years!!! Last year I spent hundreds of $ as a result of Dumb ____Pool people telling me it was mustard algae or they know and it boosts buisness, The puddles of brown or milky crud in the bottom of my pool, I researched for 6 hours one day--- some one recomended a company that sells a filter that looks like a vacum bag to be put over the line that puts the water back in your pool after filtering, they also recomend putting 1 on your waste line and you can feed that water back in to the pool, I went to that web site and it's 50.00 a bag. It seems the problem is :lol: the small particles your filter is not getting, and it gets worse every year. Now for the brilliant part, I put a thick white sock and rubberbanded it over the line coming in to pool, Problem solved!!!!! It's been 4 weeks, I told my next door neighbor, She did not beleive me, Now she does, I told her she owes me Dinner. Change the sock weekly. My water is sparkling and no crud, none.YEA.........

willowoak
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby willowoak » Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:38

WOW!!! I have had the same prbolem with my pool, for months on end now. I to have spent so much money on pool chemicals to solve my problem, to no avail. This method sounds easy enough to give it a try.
Thanks so much for this information.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Mon 09 Oct, 2006 10:41

Congrats on the solution. Just a comment... it appears that the filter on its own will not do the job of clearing the water. Thus requiring this sock. If you have a sand filter, it is possible that you have a cracked lateral in you filter that allows sand back in your pool. Ot that you have paticulate that is so small that it goes thru you filter (yet this should not happen consistantly, only during times of high pollem count)

FYI If you have mustard algae, you will not be able to able to maintain a chlorine residual.
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

more info

Postby Debbiebe » Mon 09 Oct, 2006 17:36

Thanks for the input, Its not sand, Your right, I too think it's small particles the filter simply does not get and it settles on the bottom of a sparkling clear balanced pool. If i kick it up it dissapates, It does happen only when the filter is on and, lots of people on this board have posted about it,
I'm no pool expert, I just know its been 8 weeks and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
rozebudd

Re: pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

Postby rozebudd » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 12:41

Debbie, I started having this same problem last year, and I also have so far spend hundreds trying to rid my pool pf this "mysterey" mustard algea, to NO avail either! I have spent HOURS vacuuming to waste therefore using LOTS, and LOTS of water as well. I had my filter torn apart and cleaned the beginning of this year and put yet more agecide (at $35.00 per bottle) in the pool, vacuumed yet more and STILL TODAY I have these puddles of milky, brown clusters all over the bottom and corners of the pool. I am about to scream and just fill the darn thing in!! It is draining me emotionaly and financially.

Anyway, now that I have that off my chest can you please be more specific as to where you put these socks? I need to try something that isn;t going to cost me so much $$ and see if I can get rid of this junk.

I will buy you dinner if it works.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 13:34

Adding some DE to your sand filter will also allow it to filter out this super-fine material.
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 20:15

Isn't it funny, I had not been on since last year, and here you are, It is not mustard algae!!!. Do not spend more on chemicals till you try this.
The water return pipe in your pool ( Get a finely- tightly woven white sock and the water that blows into the pool put the white sock over it and rubberband it on, Your problem will be solved.
I still wanted to know why this is happening as its very frusterating. and every one I've spoken to with a sand filter has had this same problem and this has solved it for them, in 3 days look at the sock inside out it will be slightly brownish with little particles caught in it, ....o.k. now to the cause we are taking the filter apart to see if there is a cracked lateral on the inside of the filter, i will get back on immediately to give more answers. I'm sorry if I sound like a know it all, I'm actually pretty quiet, but I've really been there with you....
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 21:02

O.K. ROZEBUD!! I"M WAITING FOR YOU TO TRY THIS,
Where we going for dinner!!! Deb
deaun who can't sign in

pool dust no--algae oh yeah.

Postby deaun who can't sign in » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 20:42

Hmmm,
I have a nylon stocking lining the inside of the skimmer basket, and it really really REALLY picks up the small cruddy stuff. All that stuff that zips right through the filter...there it is. So now, I'm going to try "stocking" the return also. Hey, if it's good for the goose!
Cheers!
buddy

Postby buddy » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 22:28

I have the exact same issue , brown dirt , vaccumm it up and it is gone ! hours later same crud back in the bottom. What type of socks are you using , is it just plain white sports sock ? I am dying to try.........

i also tried pantyhose but it seems to go right through
law1120
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby law1120 » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 05:10

I've been fighting this problem since last season. I'm definately going to try this.
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

new discoveries

Postby Debbiebe » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:41

O.K. here we go... I read somewhere a sand filter should be 3/4 full. ours requires 200 lb,which is not quite 1/2 full. Last night we added another 50 lb for a total of 250. I was also not aware that every time you open your large filter and small filter you have to lube your O rings. (lubing the O rings seals it better), we took the sock off and let it go full force last night, , Today there is less dirt on bottom and the flow in to the pool is like the first year we had it, strong flow. My neighbor took his filter apart and laterals were O>K> so we did not go through all that, I'm going to put the sock back on and be happy, for now.
For the person whose pipe does not extend out enough to hook a sock on it ,A House hold vacum extension bar may fit it perfect or a plumming pipe cut a few inches long, . I used some womens white socks that i did not like for me . theyre just tightly woven.
I talked to Recreation Warehouse and Leslies Last night, Had blank look on all their faces??? This is too common a problem. I was told to add some DE also everytime I back wash and that might help, but I should not have to do this, I also think a crack in the laterals might be some thing to it but right now I wan to float in my pool and relax and worry about it later. Deb
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:58

Posted on: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:57 Subject:
O.k> i could not leave it alone, big storm last night I got in and Cleaned the pool this morning , I decided to leave the sock off all day, It seems adding more sand to the filter has solved my problem of pool dust there is none after 12 hours running the filter on high, as for my previous post. the sand filter I have calls for 200 lbs of sand which is not quite half full, we added another 50 lbs and the problem is gone, 3 years of searching for answers, yeaaaa!, try it you have nothing to loose...good luck
Katobow

Pool Dust

Postby Katobow » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 14:32

Yes, the sock totally works. One of mine finally broke so, low and behold, the dust returned. I'm going to try the extra sand, since it's not so expensive, and a little DE as suggested and see what happens. You wouldn't believe all the stuff these socks are catching. I've been dealing with this same problem and tearing my hair out for the last 3 years. I guess sand filters are only good for 3 years. And yes, I was also told this was yellow algea but treating it never helped; not a bit.
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 19:55

My sand filter is 5 years old and running like a charm now that I added more sand, I have not added any DE. I reached in to the filter and before adding sand it was less than 1/2 full, it is now about 2/3 full and I swear no pool dust at all for 7 days, no more socks..... I threw them away..keeping my fingers crossed for you... :P

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”