Reduce stabilizers

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Lu Lu

Reduce stabilizers

Postby Lu Lu » Thu 28 Sep, 2006 00:17

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the amount of stabilizers in my pool.
I have a 50,000 litre pool with a liner and the stabilizers level is way over 100. The guy in the pool shop said that I would have to empty ½ of the pool water to reduce the stabilizers. The problem is that Im on tank water and just don’t have that amount of water.
Is there a problem with leaving that much stabilizers in the water?
Do I need to a just the other chemicals to compensate for the high stabilizers?
Thanks for you help
Lisa

Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Demons1964 » Thu 28 Sep, 2006 18:26

I assume you're using trichlor? Along with chlorine trichlor contains cyanuric acid (stabilizer) that does not break down, hence your escalating stabiliser reading. Free chlorine becomes increasingly less effective the more cyanuric acid is present. The stabilizer recommended range is 30-50ppm. Once above that level you run the risk of "chlorine lock", and the resultant threat of algae that you cannot bring under control. There's no health problem with having the stabilizer reading that high, but your elevated chlorine levels to compensate for it may cause bleaching to your liner, clothes, etc and the ever-present risk of an algal bloom.

The usual method to reduce stabiliser is to drain your pool, not an option for you though. There are a few proprietary cyanuric acid removal chemicals, but they have a bad name from being ineffective in the past, hence the standard "drain your pool" line. I believe they are better now but I suggest you google "cyanuric acid remover" and do some research as this will be your likely course of action.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”