dark green pool - how do I clean it??

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Lisa020270

dark green pool - how do I clean it??

Postby Lisa020270 » Thu 05 Oct, 2006 22:28

We just bought a new home with an above ground pool that looks as if it has been laying in neglect for a while. The water is so green I can dye clothing in it.

I am a first time pool owner. What do I do to clean it?

All replies welcome. Respond to Lisa020270 at aol.com

mrhobb
I'm new here
I'm new here

dark green pool

Postby mrhobb » Sun 04 Mar, 2007 11:54

Greetings! I have an inground pool ,approx. 35 yr old ,16x32 vinyl lined no central bottom drain, and suffers from a darkish green color as well.yesterday(Sat3Mar) I added more water, 1.5 gal. of algecide, let that cic. for 4hrs., 3 lbs of baking soda, for 2 hrs., then added 3 bags of 6 in one shock, let it circ all night. It isn't as green today, I can just make out the bottom in the deep end, barely. I have only had this pool for a year, my first, and I am novice at this as well.
Some one let me know how far astray I am drifting. I don't believe I am over doing thins too much. I plan to be treating this problem for a while.
Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

dark green pool

Postby Demons1964 » Fri 09 Mar, 2007 03:57

Buy yourselves a drop-based test kit and post your results up here (pH, Total Alkalinity, and free chlorine). Alternatively you can take a pool water sample to a pool shop and pay them to provide the analysis (just ignore them when they try to sell you a pile of chemicals that you don't really need). Irrespective, we need to know what your pool is lacking in to advise you further.

In a nutshell you need to get your pH and Total Alkalinity to within a certain range to allow the chlorine to do its job effectively. A green pool means your free chlorine is either non-existant or ineffective. If you advise how many gallons your pool is, any one of us here can let you know the amounts of chemicals to add and the order in which to add them to get your pools back on track.

By the way, pouring in $ (algecide) is not the answer, chlorine can do exactly the same job for you at a much reduced price in the form of bleach.
mrhobb
I'm new here
I'm new here

dark green pool

Postby mrhobb » Fri 09 Mar, 2007 09:58

Thanks demon. So what's the big expensive deal with shock, if we can use bleach? Is the powder form just massively concentrated? I'll post the test soon as I do it.
I poured $ into the pool yesterday pm:"Yellow Out" and three lbs of shock, which immmdiately :shock: :? formed sheets of white foam that covered the pool in a most interesting way, sort of looked like ice floes. Cool, but alarming. All gone in a few hours, except for the damn mess in the skimmers. Ick. I ran the filter all night, backwashed for 30 min. this am, till the glass was clear, added 3# fo "power powder" shock,. and kept on filtering.Still soapy green; I can sense the bottom of the pool at the deep end, though I can't see it, Seems a bit clearer, but that maybe wishful thinking.
I appreciate your help. Thank you.
mrhobb
I'm new here
I'm new here

dark green pool - how do I clean it?

Postby mrhobb » Fri 09 Mar, 2007 17:46

ddemon here is a set of vitals I got from the pool store nearby, roughly the same as i got from the Leslies also nearby:

Free Cl 8.5ppm
Total Cl 9.2
combined Cl .7
pH 7.0
Hardness 45ppm(?)
Alkilinity 100ppm
Cyanuric acid 10ppm
copper 0 .11
iron 0
Total dissolved solids 325ppm
Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Demons1964 » Fri 09 Mar, 2007 20:36

The general rule with algaecide is that you shouldn't use it once you have algae. It's a preventative measure only. The algaecide you added was most likely the cause of the foaming you saw. Instead you kill algae with chlorine.

Now on to your results. Everything seems like it's on the right track. Your pH is very low but at the moment that is effective in aiding the chlorine to kill the algae. If you're concerned about damaging your liner add 1 pound of sodium carbonate (pH up) and that should take it to a still chlorine-friendly 7.2

The idea now is to get your free chlorine up to 15ppm and that should kill the algae. Your combined chlorine should drop to 0 by then. One of the problems you're facing is that without a main drain there will be insufficient water movement in the deep end. You may have heaps of combined chlorine down there, and nowhere near enough free chlorine. If you have a suction cleaner run it (becomes a mobile main drain) or even if you just vacuum by hand that will help to distribute the free chlorine.

Probably not a wise idea to use powdered shock with a vinyl lined pool. You may get small amounts of bleaching where the powder sits on the liner until it dissolves. On your pool (assuming 16,000 gallons) using standard 6% bleach it will require a total of 2 gallons of bleach to get you to 15ppm. Add it progressively at least 3 times per day (more often is better) over 1-2 days and make sure you dilute it in a bucket and distribute it away from the liner. You may need to take the free chlorine higher still but I doubt it.

Once the algae is dead, vacuum the dead remnants to waste. Long-term I would get your pH to 7.4 and your cyanaric acid (stabiliser) up to at least 30ppm as well.

As an aside, what is your normal method of adding chlorine. Is it dichlor, trichlor?

Let me know how you go.

dark green pool

Postby Guest » Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:48

Its trichlor, and the directions say to add it to the skimmer. My liner is white about 8" below the edge cap, so the bleaching isn't a problem.
I have been readin this forum for 4 days now , and I have gotten a lot of info from varios contributors. I have come to the idea that the KISST method would work the best:Keep It Simple, Short,Timely. The BBB principle seems very simple to follow, and with regular testing, 5-10min every day or two, regular vaccuming and brushing,and regular additions of bleach and baking soda, it doesnt have to be such a complicated chore to keep the pool maintained . Now if I can just get rid of this green...
the pool is still a cloudy green, lighter in shade somewhat but still yucky.
What is alum, and is it worth it to use it? I read that it can cause problems that only draining can solve. I have also read that a vinyl lined in ground pool should never be drained.
I am not going to panic .

Postby Guest » Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:51

Lisa we have not forgotten you! Please let us know how you are making out with your problem!
Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Demons1964 » Sat 10 Mar, 2007 18:45

mrhobb wrote:the pool is still a cloudy green, lighter in shade somewhat but still yucky.
As your free chlorine levels go higher you'll notice the green tinge gradually lighten off, going almost clear and then to blue. To give you some positive vibes have a look at this link. Which picture does your pool best resemble? BTW, I'll give due credit to the guy that hosts that mirror site. He goes around various forums by the username "chem geek", he definitely knows his stuff and it's a great timelapse of chlorine fighting algae.

What is alum, and is it worth it to use it? I read that it can cause problems that only draining can solve. I have also read that a vinyl lined in ground pool should never be drained.
Alum (aluminum sulfate) is a flocculant, basically it will congregate suspended small particles, and drop the whole lot to the floor where it's vacuumed to waste. Get your free chlorine up to 15ppm and if your pool still isn't blue and/or is still cloudy try the alum.
You're correct about never draining a liner pool. Partial drain (max 30%) and refill is ok, but never empty it completely. Otherwise the liner will contract as the water recedes and you find the liner won't stretch when refilling, it will just rip.

Noting that you use trichlor, I'm just wondering how your CYA levels are so low (10ppm). Have you done a lot of draining/refilling recently or is it a new liner?

Postby Guest » Sat 10 Mar, 2007 21:20

Ive done a lot of backwashing and vaccuming in the dark to waste, and then refilling. also I belive i might have a plumbing leak. One crisis at a time. Ive been steady adding chlorine, LO! chlorox and other cheap bleach is actually only 9% Cl, 91% other stuff. I think I'll try to find some good ol calcium hypochlorite, and dump it like theres no tomorrow. I'm not sweating the time it might take-water temp is 49F, and i aint plannin on skinny dippin any time soon.
lisa ....hello?

Postby Guest » Sat 10 Mar, 2007 21:23

my pool loks like the end of day two BTW

Postby Guest » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 21:54

Hey! I can see the bottom! Full of leaves! That I can see to vaccum! Loaded with yellow mustrd algae! But ...I can see the bottom. Cheap ass bleach is the way to go. I spent over $60 on yellow out and shock= nothing but foam: $18 on 12 bottles o bleach= Bottom!
Lisa I hope you are listening.BBB Rules!
Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

dark green pool

Postby Demons1964 » Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:13

That's great news, you're on the home stretch now. Mustard algae will tend to form in areas of low water movement so keep up the vacuuming. Make sure you get the free chlorine up to at least 15ppm to kill the spores otherwise it will return. I've had a dose of mustard algae myself, nasty stuff.

Ongoing, keep your free chlorine at a minimum of 5ppm, you'd be surprised that the industry standard 1-3ppm doesn't quite cut the mustard (excuse the pun).

dark green pool

Postby Guest » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:49

Hey Demon! Sorry I was busy, couldn't get back, but hey! pool is chrystal clear! The pool liner has the mustard stuff all over it ie; sides and shallow end, but the water itself is clear as glass. I'm brushing and vaccuming as often as I can,(have a cold, and I have to do a brake job, etc), but yeah I'm gonna keep the chlorine up there,10- 11, and keep after it, till it warms up. Thanks for your help.
I am sorry, Lisa. that I hijacked the thread, but I hope you have gotten some help out of all this after all.
MOTHER22TWINS

Bleach??

Postby MOTHER22TWINS » Thu 19 Apr, 2007 18:12

Hi, we have an inground pool 18x36. It is very green. My husband usually takes care of it but hasn't yet. I came across this site while searching for information. I don't know much about pool maintenance. Am I understanding previous posts correctly? Do you use straight bleach?
If so, would it be the same with a salt system?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”