dark green pool - how do I clean it??

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 20:45

You probably don't need to use Borax at all unless your pH is low or you want to later add Borates to the pool in which case there are other ways you can add it (i.e. with boric acid directly instead of 20 Mule Team Borax and Muriatic Acid added separately). I suggest you read Defeating Algae.

jennjenn

Postby jennjenn » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 14:31

My pool is green still, i have put everything in it...shock ,alge stuff, chloreane...everything but the kitchen sink...i even got a scrub brush and brushed the whole pool and it is still green....not as dark but green...should i just wait a week until it all does its stuff before doing anything else to it? i heard about a solution at walmart that is called clear blue...for green cloudy water...should i use that?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 20:53

I don't see any other post from you so when you say "still" you mean you've tried things before posting here, right? Shocking is a process of maintaining a higher FC level, but if your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level is very high then you'll need to lower it by a partial drain/refill. If you shock your cloudy green pool properly, by MAINTAINING a high FC level (i.e. not just a one-time dose), then it should look like the sequence in this link. Read the Defeating Algae link in my post before yours. Get a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100.
steph

Postby steph » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 06:44

From my experience there are couple different reasons your pool can be green. Some is from algea and could also be from too much medals in the water. If you have well water its most likely the ladder. Get some metal control and it clears quickly. However the best advice does come from a professional. Simply tell them the symptoms and if you know why it happenes. For my family our pool turned green as soon as we shocked it due to high iron levels. Metal control works wonders in this situation. The next time I have problems I will be asking the pros instead of a website, would have saved a lot of time and money!!
jenhammers

Postby jenhammers » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 18:23

i have a 26oo gallon pool above ground i have shocked it and put 2 cups of bleach in it and my pool is so green when i brush it it seems as if it gets darker dont have a vacum to use any suggestions my ph and my other lvls are good i have the strips but clohrine never shows up on the strip
jtjkinsey

Postby jtjkinsey » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 16:35

I put up a 15ftx42in above ground pool, my calculations is 4627 gallons. Filled it added the stabilizer, Chlorine tablet in skimmer, and have shocked it once a week for the last month. Water was really clear up till a week ago now it is turning green. This is my first pool experience so knowledge is next to none. TH level 400-FC 0-PH 8.4-TA 240-and CYA 0. Went back to the store and was told I need to reshock, continue the clorinated tablet and buy the algaecide. I'm doing this for grandkids but I am lost. Can anyone give me some straight forward help please!
Cleanmypoolmyself.com

Postby Cleanmypoolmyself.com » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 02:06

There are so many ways to clean a pool and so many factors that come into play. Ideally if you follow basic instructions and over time get use to your pool you can create a system to clean your pool yourself for a very low cost as well as in a short amount of time. For more info check out cleanmypoolmyself.com and head to the blog where we break down things that could be happening to your pool and how to fix it.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 16:24

First of all, get your own good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100 since the pool store numbers may be wrong (they often are). If you truly had 0 ppm CYA, then you'd need to add some and you also need chlorine. So add Dichlor will put both in the pool, but don't overdo it since the pool store reading for CYA may be wrong. I'd add no more than 20 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) of Dichlor in two doses (i.e. 10 ppm one day, measure the next day and add more). Then while waiting for the test kit, add chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach to keep the FC at around 4 ppm or so. Once you have numbers from your test kit, then it will be easy to figure out what to do next. Read the Pool School in the meantime.
Farhad786

dark green pool for a couple of months- how do I clean it??

Postby Farhad786 » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 04:38

Hi, My fault, I neglected the pool for the past 6 months and now it's green, it's smell and it,s a site for sore eyes and algae all over the pool wall and floor. I just dread going to the pool area. But summer is around the corner and I want to get it in order. But it's so damn expensive and with my current financial situation it's difficult. How do I get it back to a sparkling blue once again.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 00:35

blueyes2uc31

Postby blueyes2uc31 » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 23:48

can i put all this bleach and borax in my above ground slat water pool...it looks just like yours...we spent lots of money via the pool dealer last year and still looks the same
Premier Robotic

Postby Premier Robotic » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 16:11

Hi,
I just wanted to add a quick suggestion. If you need to get rid of algae in your pool, the first thing you should do (if it is severe), is shock the water. Once you've done this and let it settle, you should use a good robotic pool cleaner.
Now I know most robotic pool cleaners don't actually do a very good job here with algae, but there is one that breaks the rule: The Dolphin Premier.
This is one of the only robotic pool cleaners I have seen lately that actually does a good job breaking up and sucking up algae, even along the waterline.
Tests and reviews all agree-- if you have an algae problem in your pool, try the Premier.
If you do give it a try, I'd be interested to know how it works for you! I've used it on an "algae attack" in my own pool, and it worked well.

You can find out more at premierrobotic com.

Good luck!

Mark
Premier Robotic

Postby Premier Robotic » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 11:31

Best way to clean algae is with a good, strong, but energy efficient robotic pool cleaner. Check out the new Dolphin Premier. It has been rated the highest out of the pool cleaners on the market, specifically for tackling algae, getting to the waterline, and even handling steps. It is energy efficient so you can run it longer.
So if you have an actually algae bloom going on in your pool, I'd recommend running the Premier for a few cycles-- more than you usually would.
But I wouldn't worry about the costs running up, as I said, it's very efficient.
Hope this is helpful.

Mark
premierrobotic com

(And for a short video about the Premier, click here: premierrobotic.com/dolphin-cleaner-videos.
benon B.

Postby benon B. » Thu 16 May, 2013 13:00

I would suggest calling a professional company. It'll save you and your pools health!

When we tried to open our pool a couple of years ago after a long winter, we got a consultation from a company that deals with inground pools in Winnipeg, and ended up deciding to go with them because of safety concerns with doing it ourselves.

Good Luck.
hsy

Postby hsy » Mon 03 Jun, 2013 19:23

My above ground pool is verry green it 3500gls the ph is 8.2 and the cl is less then 0.4 how much cl do i put iit to clean it?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”