dark green pool - how do I clean it??

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
sptygl
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I THINK it is 20,000 gallons. Inground pool. 8-10 feet at deep end, kidney shaped pool. I have a spa that waterfalls into the pool

Dark green pool

Postby sptygl » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 00:33

Demons1964 wrote:Buy yourselves a drop-based test kit and post your results up here (pH, Total Alkalinity, and free chlorine). Alternatively you can take a pool water sample to a pool shop and pay them to provide the analysis (just ignore them when they try to sell you a pile of chemicals that you don't really need). Irrespective, we need to know what your pool is lacking in to advise you further.

In a nutshell you need to get your pH and Total Alkalinity to within a certain range to allow the chlorine to do its job effectively. A green pool means your free chlorine is either non-existant or ineffective. If you advise how many gallons your pool is, any one of us here can let you know the amounts of chemicals to add and the order in which to add them to get your pools back on track.

By the way, pouring in $ (algecide) is not the answer, chlorine can do exactly the same job for you at a much reduced price in the form of bleach.

please advise, Do I need Algaecide with the chlorine or just chlorine? And you mentioned a reduced price for chlorine, is that just regular bleach? and where would I get that type for the pool, if it is a special type??

thanks!!!

ISNTMENTTOLAST

Postby ISNTMENTTOLAST » Fri 03 Jul, 2009 16:14

i have a problem with my pool well a few but we have just recently cleaned out all the water and im filling it up now i added algicide and some chlorine but now its get a tint of green in it how can i get it clear by tomorrow after noon? oh not to mention my pump doent work.
poop deck pool girl

what's the borax do??

Postby poop deck pool girl » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:14

Boy, am I glad to have come across this forum!!! Chemgeek your awesome!!
So I've seen the magical transformation of your pool with the household bleach and I can't wait to start our opening here....but what does the borax do?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 14:12

The example I showed here wasn't my pool, but an example from The PoolForum website (unfortunately, they do not accept new members, but many of those folks are now at Trouble Free Pool.

The Borax was probably used to raise the pH. Higher levels of borates can be used to stabilize pH and as a mild algaecide, but I would assume that the one box of Borax was used to raise the pH. It is similar to pH Up except that it raises pH with half the rise of TA compared to pH Up.

For more info on opening your pool and many other items about pools, please read the Pool School.

Postby Guest » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 22:00

Good Day,

Can any water be saved. About to take over a house in 8 weeks time that I think has not had the filter on once in the last 18 - 24 months, maybe longer... The water is the darkest of green colors.
The pool is an inground pool with I believe a pebble type finish on the bottom. Can not see through the 1st 5mm let alone to the bottom.
I understand that I need to get the (pH, Total Alkalinity, and free chlorine) to a certain range and then is it just the case of bombing it with massive amounts of high concentrated chlorine, gradually over a couple of weeks. Really curious as I find it hard to believe that this water can be cleaned to an apropriate safe level.
Thanks
Curious M
Allen G Myerson

Postby Allen G Myerson » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 23:45

Take a water sample in to the pool store to get the following readings:

pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cyanuric acid
Copper
Iron

Filter out the sediment using a coffee filter so that the particles do not interfere too much. Get the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Get extra chlorine reagents R-0870 and R-0871.

Most water can be cleaned back to sparkling clean. Once you get the information and the test kit, and are ready to get going, post back and hopefully someone will be able to help you.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 17:50

After you have the test results, you may want to look into using a good algaecide to clear up the pool if you want it done quickly. If you don't mind waiting, super chlorinating with chlorine or granular will work just fine to clear up the pool. You will have to brush it several times and vacuum the sediment once it begins to clear up.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 18:49

Algaecide is for preventing algae. It would not help at all with this pool.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 14:13

mx357xm2 wrote:Algaecide is for preventing algae. It would not help at all with this pool.

That is incorrect. Algaecide will in-fact kill an algal outbreak as well as prevent one from occurring (maintenance dosage).
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 15:24

Pool User
has not had the filter on once in the last 18 - 24 months, maybe longer... The water is the darkest of green colors.
Can not see through the 1st 5mm let alone to the bottom.

swimnsaveusa
a good algaecide to clear up the pool if you want it done quickly

What algaecide will quickly clear this much algae? And, how much of it would need to be added, assuming a 20,000 gallon pool?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 15:34

mx357xm2 wrote:
Pool User
has not had the filter on once in the last 18 - 24 months, maybe longer... The water is the darkest of green colors.
Can not see through the 1st 5mm let alone to the bottom.

swimnsaveusa
a good algaecide to clear up the pool if you want it done quickly

What algaecide will quickly clear this much algae? And, how much of it would need to be added, assuming a 20,000 gallon pool?

11-17 oz. per 10,000 gallons of algaecide "60" will in-fact clear a green pool in a matter of a day or so.
4 oz. per 10,000 gallons of copper algaecide it's all basically just choice of what you want to use. If you already have high metals in the pool, your going to want a 60, eliminator or other algaecide. If you dont mind it, silver or copper algaecide will work. Our problem free is an algaecide/clarifier combo. and will work just fine. But to say an algaecide will not kill algae is a very false statement.

We ourselves carry 8 different types of algaecides that will all have similar results. Check them out HERE if you would like as each has the dosage and use instructions.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:08

Every bottle of poly 60 algaecide that I have ever used says this:

"Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using poly 60 algaecide."

You can see an example here in the instructions. "Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using POOLTRINE 60"
http://h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/o/o_2.htm

Using any type of algaecide on this much algae would be a complete waste of time and money.

Metals, like copper and silver, will leave horrible stains.

I seriously doubt that you have any actual experience working on pools.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:17

mx357xm2 wrote:Every bottle of poly 60 algaecide that I have ever used says this:

"Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using poly 60 algaecide."

You can see an example here in the instructions. "Pools containing heavy algae growth should be cleaned prior to using POOLTRINE 60"
http://h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/o/o_2.htm

Using any type of algaecide on this much algae would be a complete waste of time and money.

Metals, like copper and silver, will leave horrible stains.

I seriously doubt that you have any actual experience working on pools.

You're absolutely right! No experience whatsoever yet you call Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, or any of them and they will refer to us...Nationally!!! Is that your online "distribution" company? Why is it with over 20 years in the industry I have never heard of that chemical line OR distrubutor...

On the other note...

How about instead of you actually acting as if you had an ideal of what your talking about, you click the link I provided which come directly off the algaecide bottles. I mean...they are in-fact called algae-CIDE...Do yourself and pool owners a favor. Please do not give any advise. I notice there are a few people on this forum that give bad advice on here which really degrades the point of this entire forum...and you really take the cake! The algaecides you are getting are either inferior, or you have never actually used and/or researched them?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:25

This is a real algaecide "60" product, and not that garbage your company sells. Notice, ours doesn't have a "oh, by the way, it may not really work" disclaimer:

Algaecide 60 Plus For Algae control in pools

Kills and prevents green, yellow and black algae

Algae, while not harmful to bathers, do not belong in a properly operated swimming pool. If allowed
to grow freely, the pool quickly becomes unusable. Algae can make your pool water cloudy, clog filters, create objectionable odors, increase chlorine demand and reduce effectiveness of other pool chemicals. Using a good algaecide as part of regular pool maintenance is the best way to control these microscopic plants. Algaecide 60 Plus is a highly concentrated liquid algaecide consisting of a cationic polymer, effective in killing different types of algae.

BENEFITS

␣ Broad spectrum – Effective on yellow, the greenish free-floating varieties of algae and black algae that cling to the walls and bottoms of pools.
␣ Non-foaming – Unlike the commonly used quaternary ammonium compounds, Algaecide 60 Plus is specially formulated to be non-foaming even when added in high concentration slug doses, thereby enhancing pool appearance.
␣ pH tolerant – Is effective in both acidic and alkaline pH ranges, thereby eliminating the need to alter pool chemistry prior to application.
␣ Non-metallic – This product does not stain pool surfaces or swimmers’ hair.
␣ No chlorine demand – Can be used in pools treated with chlorine chemicals and its use may
reduce the amount of chlorine chemicals normally required.
␣ Compatible with all sanitizers – Is compatible with most chemicals commonly used to treat pools and hence can be used by all.
␣ Preventative & cure – Prevents algae growth, eliminates existing algae in pools and even prevents growth of most algae during the winter months when pools are not in use.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE POOLS

␣ Initial dosage - For pools with just visible algae growth, add 11 to 17 ounces of Algaecide 60 plus per 10,000 gallons of water and remove settled algae. Add 6-11 ounces of this product per 10,000 gallons of water while treating freshly cleaned and filled pools.
␣ Maintenance dosage - Add 2 to 4 fluid ounces per 10,000 gallons of water every 5-7 days after initial treatment for maintenance.
␣ Winterizing - Add 6 to 10 fluid ounces of algaecide per 10,000 gallons of water for pools that have been properly treated during the swim season and are free of visible algae. For pools with some visible algae growth at the end of the swim season, add 12 to 17 ounces per 10,000 gallons of water.
mx357xm2

Postby mx357xm2 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 17:06

Applied Biochemists is an Arch Chemicals, Inc. company.

"Headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut (USA), Arch Chemicals, Inc. ("Arch Chemicals" or the "Company") is a global Biocides company with annual sales of over $1 billion."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/arch-c ... _news_stmp
http://ir.archchemicals.com/

Arch chemicals makes HTH, POOLIFE, LeisureTime and GLB. Have you heard of any of them?

Here is another manufacturer, Chemtura, who makes Omni, BioGuard etc.

"Pools containing heavy growth of algae should be cleaned prior to using this product."
From BioGuard, a Chemtura company. http://www.poolgeek.com/BioGuard-Algae- ... P2232.aspx

The algaecide you sell is probably made by Arch or Chemtura. You're the one who should refrain from giving advice.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”