swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
thegoaltender
I'm new here
I'm new here

Need advice on new plumbing setup

Postby thegoaltender » Wed 18 Oct, 2006 16:12

Hi,

I have a 20x40 inground vinyl pool with an AquaRite salt to chlorine generator. I am replacing the liner and redoing all the plumbing as well as the decking around the pool. I am adding a spa, solar panels, vacuum port for vacuum, and AquaLogic (replacing AquaRite).
I would like to optimize the setup and get it right while I have the deck removed. I guess my main concerns are what plumbing to use and what size? Also, whether or not the configuration will work.

Here is a link to the current and future setups.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Jim

Re: Need advice on new plumbing setup

Postby Guest » Wed 18 Oct, 2006 16:17

For some reason my link supposedly has a "naughty word" ?

Here it is without http://...

long-meigeall.0moola.com/pool/pool_frame.htm

thegoaltender wrote:Hi,

I have a 20x40 inground vinyl pool with an AquaRite salt to chlorine generator. I am replacing the liner and redoing all the plumbing as well as the decking around the pool. I am adding a spa, solar panels, vacuum port for vacuum, and AquaLogic (replacing AquaRite).
I would like to optimize the setup and get it right while I have the deck removed. I guess my main concerns are what plumbing to use and what size? Also, whether or not the configuration will work.

Here is a link to the current and future setups.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Jim
Demons1964
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Demons1964 » Wed 18 Oct, 2006 19:06

With regards to your future setup, I highly recommend you install 3 shutoff valves: 1 on each of the main drain, vacuum port and skimmer intake. If you decide to retain the same pump you'll probably find you'll have inadequate suction on the vacuum line with all the other lines open. And if you do have leaks down the track on the intake side it's a heck of a lot easier identifying where the leak is.

Rigid PVC is the recommended plumbing option, schedule 40 will suffice. As for what size to use, if your pump is only just up to the job at the moment, then upgrading to 2" will free up some capacity. The phenomenon is known as line drag, and basically water in contact with the inside surface of the plumbing has very high friction. So the larger the plumbing size the greater pressure either at the returns or for suction. The cost difference between 1.5" and 2" is not that great but remember that you'll need some reducers for the pump (I'm guessing it's 1.5" ports) and possibly the other equipment. Install each reducer as late in the plumbing lines as possible to reduce line drag.

Definitely get a professional to quote on the requirements for the solar panels. I don't think your 1hp pump is large enough to run both the filtration and solar. Usually a second pump with temperature controller is recommended that switches on when the temperature difference between the pool and the solar panels is great enough, otherwise you can end up cooling the pool under the wrong ambient conditions.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”