Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
swim2345
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE filter pressure rises too rapidly

Postby swim2345 » Fri 05 Aug, 2005 18:34

I am backwashing with increasing frequency because the pressure climbs too soon. One pool store worker suggested that I may not be adding enough DE after each backwash. Does 4#/48 sqft sound right?

poolman64
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE Filter Cleaning

Postby poolman64 » Sun 21 Aug, 2005 16:02

My guess would be that your filter is overdue for a complete servicing. That is where you take it apart and clean "all" of the old DE out of the filter. A backwash only gets rid of about 50% of the DE in the tank. After a period of time the DE accumulates to where it bridges the spaces between the grids, effectively reducing the square footage of the filter. This would cause the rapid pressure increase between backwashes. Most DE filters need an annual complete cleaning.
Mike
swim2345
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby swim2345 » Tue 23 Aug, 2005 19:18

I have no documentation on the unit. Do you know of a site displaying information on exactly how to do this, including how to set the valves while the filter is broken down?
ThatPoolGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ThatPoolGuy » Tue 27 Sep, 2005 22:58

swim2345 wrote:I have no documentation on the unit. Do you know of a site displaying information on exactly how to do this, including how to set the valves while the filter is broken down?

No need to mess with the valves. Shut your pump off and release the pressure in the filter. Take the large band off the middle of the filter then take the top off.

The "insides" should just lift out and wash thoughly.

Put the filter back together...bleed the air...add d.e.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”