New light in old, small niche

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
jag_man653
I'm new here
I'm new here

New light in old, small niche

Postby jag_man653 » Thu 09 Nov, 2006 16:14

We are trying to replace the light in our late-60s era swimming pool. Our electrician told us in advance that new 8" lights were no longer available so he was going to have to use an adapter. That was the plan, but now when he is trying to install it things don't match up the way he assumed they would.

Here is a photo of the new light and adapter:

www at efsowell dot us/pool/NineInchAdaptor.JPG

and the niche in the wall of the pool:
www at efsowell dot us/pool/niche.JPG

The electrician thinks the ears on the back of the adapter are supposed to slip INSIDE the niche, but they won't. That is, the inside diameter of the niche is smaller than the diameter formed by the mounting ears on the adapter. I told him it looked like the ears were supposed to fit on the OUTSIDE of the niche. That would require chiseling out notches in the concrete that the adapter ears would slip into, and drilling through the niche wall from the inside to screw into the threaded holes in the adapter.

I know for sure his method won't work, but I'm not sure mine will either.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Or, does anyone know where to get the old 8" lights?

TIA

Ed

poolnerd
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

old light, smaller niche

Postby poolnerd » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:10

May want to try an old Swimquip light. They're still available, made by American Prod, a division of Pentair. Designed for 8.5-inch niche. I've used them on a couple of remodels over the past few years. Should be able to special-order it from most pool stores. In my records, I've got part # 050080506-50. The -50 refers to 50 ft cord length, the only length available.

Good luck

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”