air in lines

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
silverwings

air in lines

Postby silverwings » Fri 17 Nov, 2006 13:36

My pool has water bubbles coming out of the output pipes in the pool.Also the pressure on the guage will go up to where it is supposed to be and stay there for about a half of a minute and then drop down to zero.I turned on the air valve on top of the pool pump and air comes out for about a half of a minute and then stoppes when the pressure falls.Is it the motor or do I have a collasped line or what, help I have a old swimquip pump.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 26 Nov, 2006 16:47

This sounds like a surging pump. This normally indicates an air leak ont eh suction side of the pump. That is the pump is getting full prime for a few moments then looses it then gets it again causing your pressure gauge to go up and down.

I suggest you check out all the suction side of the pump first.

HTH
dlb

Pool suction (air in the line)

Postby dlb » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 18:49

I have air bubbles coming in the pool (return). The pressure goes up initially and then falls off. The creepy doesn't have enough suction to move. We back washed the system with no better results. There is no leaks in the creepy tubing. We have a DE filter system.

Is there a fix or do I need to call a pool mx dude?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 19:20

It is up to you whether you call a pool bloke or not. In simplest terms in front of the pump will be orings or rubber couplings which may be leaking. I cannot tell you exactly where as there could be a few possibilities. The most common is more than likely your pot O ring for the strainer in front of the pump.
poolnerd
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

surging pump

Postby poolnerd » Thu 28 Dec, 2006 00:22

I agree with the previous post. If same problem after replacing o-rings and so on, try replacing seal and re-plumbing pump inlet; if pump has run dry or hot at some point, can result in bad joint at threaded fitting going into pump, or a bad seal. Either of these can result in a leak, which on the suction side of the pump, means air will be sucked in -- like if you're trying to drink through a cracked straw. Also, try checking skimmer weir (that flapper door thingy) to make sure it isn't getting hung up and not letting enough water into the skimmer.
Good luck!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”